diesel combustile class 1 class 1 or 2??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
is an area where diesel fuel pumps are located considered a nonclassified area? We have an area with diesel pumps only and area with gasoline pumps only. The diesel are placed to the right of the store and the gas pumps are directly in front of the store in their separate areas. The gutter feeding both areas has seal offs going to each location. The diesel is considered combustile not flammable correct? Does the area around diesel pumps need to be class 1 div1 or 2 ?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Diesel is not considered classified, throw a match in it and the match goes out. Not knowing your particulars on how close the pumps are, you should be provided an area classification drawing/documentation, the AHJ will want to see this. See 500.4.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Diesel is not considered classified, throw a match in it and the match goes out. Not knowing your particulars on how close the pumps are, you should be provided an area classification drawing/documentation, the AHJ will want to see this. See 500.4.

The place is an existing gas station. The gas pumps sit around 100' plus away from diesel pumps. I also am not sure but I gather from code is that as long as the gas pump conduit/wiring isnt running under or thru diesel pumps its not considered nonclassified. Lets say for discussion sake. Can the wiring at diesel pumps and area be nonincendive wiring going to it?

oldsparky52

Everywhere I've worked the AHJ has not required diesel to be wired as a classified area if the diesel is kept apart from the gas as you have stated. I have heard that the state of PA does require diesel to be wired as a classified location, gas or no gas.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Article 514 is specific to motor fuel dispensing. 514.3 allows the location to be unclassified where the AJH can satisfactorily determine that flammable liquids won't be handled. So it sounds like its at the AHJ's discretion.

Other requirements in 514 may apply even if its not a classified location. Grounding requirements for example.

And 514.19 requires a seal at the dispenser and I don't see any exception for non-flammable fuels, although the additional seals listed in 514.19B would not be required if its non-classified.

that's per the 2014 NEC.

oldsparky52

And 514.19 requires a seal at the dispenser and I don't see any exception for non-flammable fuels, although the additional seals listed in 514.19B would not be required if its non-classified.

that's per the 2014 NEC.
Wait, isn't the seal the requirement for a "classified" location? Why would you need an exception for non classified wiring? You only need the seal because it's classified, right?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
514.9 Sealing - (A) At dispenser. A listed seal shall be provided at each conduit run entering or leaving a dispenser.....

I don't see any restriction to classified areas for this requirement.

I also just noticed 514.8 - Underground wiring also seems to have some requirements for non-classified locations. Basically a requirement for RMC or IMC and a limitation on where PVC can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.