diesel fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
During the winter months, what I've been getting lately, would be classified as about 13.5 miles to the gallon fuel .... :) just kidding.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
What is classification of diesel fuel ?
Are you asking if it triggers hazardous location wiring requirements of chapter 5?

It doesn't have low enough flash point that it is considered to create hazardous location at common atmospheric temp and pressures.

At the "gas station" dispensers and such still use hazard location wiring methods - often because there is gasoline dispensers in the vicinity and those do create a hazardous location.

jbolen

diesel fuel

If I have five storage tanks with diesel fuel that feed 1.5 Meg generators. What is the classification for MOV's if any ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If I have five storage tanks with diesel fuel that feed 1.5 Meg generators. What is the classification for MOV's if any ?

If you were talking about just diesel fuel it shouldn't be classified at all. However the engineers drawings ought to say if there are any classified areas. This is not something you should be deciding on your own because either way you decide you could be wrong and it could cost you money.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
See 500.4(A) for the documentation requirements for hazardous locations.
Diesel, as point out does not require hazardous type wiring, I would wire with FS boxes and rigid, using EMT the fuel when spilled would get inside the wiring and boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.