Diesel Storage Facility HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse

I need some help determining the whether or not a hazardous classification is required for a diesel fuel (no.2) storage facility.

Here is what I know:

The flashpoint of No 2 Diesel is 125 deg f.
This constitutes it as a combustible liquid and not a flammable liquid as defined by NFPA 30.
NEC Chapter 500 refers to flammable liquids for Class I Locations.

I dont believe the quantity makes a difference in this case but we will be storing some 180,000 gallons of diesel fuel in the building. I thought this might fall under Articel 515 bulk storage, but again that again refers to Flammable liquids.

One other point on this matter, I attempted to refer to NFPA 30 which is the NFPA document governing Flammable and combustible Liquids. Chapter 8 in that publication id for electrical installations. The scope of that article specifically refers to Class II liquids (diesel is Class II) stored ABOVE their flashpoints.

Most of my experience with hazardous locations are dealing with paint booths, hangars and others specifically covered by the NEC. I want this installation to be as safe as possible but I am not sure that explosion proof electrical installation will offer any added safety.

Comments please!
Thanks.

jesse

Re: Diesel Storage Facility HELP!

No, class II liquids only. It houses 6-30,000 gallon diesel tanks.

Thanks for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.