diesel tank above ground class 1 location

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveng

i am asking for some clarity on this art 515.3 class 1 location.

concerning the above ground skid mounted diesel tank and pump.

the conduit is 2" rigid nonmetallic underground, riser is also pvc approx 6' from the tank, i want to set a splice box and and wire a isolation switch 120vac for the dispensing pump, 500 gallon tank

is it permitable to run rigid nonmetallic from the splice box thru switch to the pump as long as the is an egc pulled in and gounded with 8' rod,sealed on both ends.

reason being that the touch potential is gone using the pvc versus metal conduit?

what are the sealing methods used?

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Diesel fuel is not explosive, and does not require any special hazardous location wiring method.
However, its oily and messy, I would use RMC and LTMC, as being a tank/pump means its going to be exposed to damage from trucks and users.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The tank may well require a grounding electrode system for other reasons, but I am not all that sure that a mere diesel dispensing area requires classification at all.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
petersonra said:
The tank may well require a grounding electrode system for other reasons, but I am not all that sure that a mere diesel dispensing area requires classification at all.
I am sure, a diesel tank and dispensing pump is not classified, it may be in the handbook, I know its in Mike Holts material, if you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.