Diff between post tender addendum & change notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I understand it an addendum is issued before the tender is closed. At this point contractors have not submitted price.

Tender closes. Prices have been submitted.

What confuses me is the diff between a post tender addendum and say a regular change notice (or change order), to me both seem to be the same as prices have already been submitted and anything additional will be extra?

templdl

The way I understand it an addendum is issued before the tender is closed. At this point contractors have not submitted price.

Tender closes. Prices have been submitted.

What confuses me is the diff between a post tender addendum and say a regular change notice (or change order), to me both seem to be the same as prices have already been submitted and anything additional will be extra?

Having submitted a lot of proposals myself since 1982 I never ran across that term. Post I would interpret as meaning after a proposal has been submitted requiring a revised quote based upon a change in the original specifications. It may be a requote, alternate quote, adder, etc. A change notice often times refers to a change after an order has been accepted and the design and/or manufacturing process has started often requiring a revised PO. The design and /or production process is often delayed which requires rescheduling (loosing your place in line) while going through the change process and after receiving a revised PO which relects all of the costs for the change.
But, it is a factor of everybody being on the same page of far as definitions go, that they are clearly understood by all parties. If you don't understand ask others as you are now doing and more importantly ask your client and you manager for their interpretation of the term.
As a former applications engineer it was not unusual for someone to use a term that was commonly used for something within a given facility, a term that was misused or slang, that is common terms for things that are unique within a given facility similar to speaking a foreign language.
As such don't get intimidated while trying to learn the culture.

I guess its something like this:

- Owner requests bids
- Tender open
- Contractor submits
- Tender closed [any modifications to the drawings before this stage is an addendum]
- Owner short lists say top 3 bids out of 6
- Owner awards tender to best bidder of the three [any modifications before this stage is a post tender addendum?]
- Work begins [Any changes now would be a change notice]
- Work in progress [Any changes would be issued as a site instruction]

I guess a lot is down to the way the contracting/tendering process is setup. There may be periods after each stage during which addendum's may be submitted. This is just what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.