Difference between dimmable power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmills488

Working on an under cabinet lighting setup for a customer with the following stats:
-Wire running through wall, need a class 2 power supply
-24v LED strip
-Dimmer will be on high voltage side of power supply
-Looking at 24v 90w power supplies

Can anyone tell me which would be the most appropriate and the difference between these 3 power supplies from Meanwell?
NPF-90D-24
PWM-90-24
LPF-90D-24

I have both of these switches in stock, should one be selected over the other? Concerned about dimming compatibility with the power supply, having a hard time finding specs.
-Lutron Caseta P-PKG1W-WH
-GE Zwave dimmer

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I did not open any detail specs but from a quick look I don't believe any of those are listed class 2 supplies.

dmills488

I did not open any detail specs but from a quick look I don't believe any of those are listed class 2 supplies.
What was your reasoning for that? Just wondering.

This is what I found: https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/PWM-90/E334687-UL-cer.pdf
"LED Drivers, Isolated Class 2 LED Power Supplies, M odel(s) N PF-90X-Y, w here X m ay be blank or D , Y m ay be 20, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 or 54 ; PW M -90-Z,w here Z m ay be 24, 36 or 48."

Possible differences
NPF-90D-24 - ?
PWM-90-24 - Constant Voltage
LPF-90D-24 - Constant Voltage + Constant Current

gar

Occupation
EE
180118-1105 EST

dmills488:

I did not extensively study your referenced power supplies. But I believe none are dimmable by any type of adjustment of the input voltage. Meaning Variac adjustable voltage, or phase shift triggered control of voltage.

Your referenced supplies are PWM DC supplies that have a designed constant DC output voltage that remains constant over a wide range in AC input voltage. At the low voltage output side of the supply is another PWM control that pulses the voltage to adjust average voltage and/or current to the LEDs. Thus, the DC supplies have an internal dimmer function. Basically 0 to 10 V control.

The design concept looks good, the specs look good, and hopefully manufacturing quality is good. You should study the spec sheets to learn more, and possibly call Mean Well.

You do not put a Lutron at the input to one of these supplies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

From the UL specs it appears that the NPF 60W and below meet Class 2 requirements where the 90W doesn't. Manufacturer spec sheet says class II without FG. So I'm not sure, this is European stuff.

Worse comes to worse either use more supplies or Class 1 wiring.

-Hal

dmills488

180118-1105 EST

dmills488:

I did not extensively study your referenced power supplies. But I believe none are dimmable by any type of adjustment of the input voltage. Meaning Variac adjustable voltage, or phase shift triggered control of voltage.

Your referenced supplies are PWM DC supplies that have a designed constant DC output voltage that remains constant over a wide range in AC input voltage. At the low voltage output side of the supply is another PWM control that pulses the voltage to adjust average voltage and/or current to the LEDs. Thus, the DC supplies have an internal dimmer function. Basically 0 to 10 V control.

The design concept looks good, the specs look good, and hopefully manufacturing quality is good. You should study the spec sheets to learn more, and possibly call Mean Well.

You do not put a Lutron at the input to one of these supplies.

Ah, I see now that the PWM has two outputs, one for the leds and the other for the dimmer switch. This would eliminate my worry about using an inline dimmer and voltage drop.
It however would also eliminate my ability to use a smart switch/dimmer.

Are there any other affordable and recommended power supplies that can be dimmed from the input side?
Armacost has this one but it's only 12v http://www.armacostlighting.com/store/product-category/ac-dimmable-power-supplies/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.