Difference between service disconnect and regular disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

What’s the physical difference between a service disconnect and a regular disconnect switch?

Are “service disconnects” allowed in anything downstream of the actual service disconnect. For instance a disconnect serving an AC unit is tagged “service disconnect”, is this allowed?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What’s the physical difference between a service disconnect and a regular disconnect switch?

Are “service disconnects” allowed in anything downstream of the actual service disconnect. For instance a disconnect serving an AC unit is tagged “service disconnect”, is this allowed?
IMO opinion no. The service disconnect label is only for the actual service disconnect where it is required to be labeled as such. BTW I see electricians put these labels on equipment disconnects all of the time. :unsure:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Yes, a disconnect that is listed as "suitable for use as service equipment" must have a factory provided means of bonding the neutral to the enclosure.
Yep
Suitable for use only as Service Entrance - has a 'permanent' bonding means.
Suitable for use as Service Entrance - has a 'removable' bonding means, like a screw.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
FWIW; Other than what has been stated above, I can't speak for "switches" but I do know from experience there are other considerations on panelboards. I had an inspection where the customer failed to select "Suitable for Service" on a service panelboard. The factory and UL (Field Evaluation) became involved. Rectifing the situation involved alterations including addtional buss bracing, etc. There was no change in AZIC ratings but there was certainly more than adding a sticker and a bond jumper....

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Somewhat related to this subject, how about the practice of using the neutral bar as an EC bar by putting the bond screw in. Of course this only works for, say, an A/C disconnect where there is no neutral involved. Electrically it is correct but I wonder if this really compliant.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Somewhat related to this subject, how about the practice of using the neutral bar as an EC bar by putting the bond screw in. Of course this only works for, say, an A/C disconnect where there is no neutral involved. Electrically it is correct but I wonder if this really compliant.

What's an EC bar?

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.