Different question on 80kw generator

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I got to cut through 300 feet of asphalt. Was going to pipe it.

Owner wants to fill the narrow trench with gravel and then install a drain grate so in her words “ so we can get to conduit in the future.
Well if it’s piped getting to the conduits is almost pointless on a narrow trench.
My question.
Do they make an underground wire way with a removable top. My thinking is if we do need to open it up we can at-least remove the grate and then remove cover.
I don’t ever see needing to get in there if I install correctly like I am suppose to. But she wants it’s accessible

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Owner wants to fill the narrow trench with gravel and then install a drain grate so in her words “ so we can get to conduit in the future.
Well if it’s piped getting to the conduits is almost pointless on a narrow trench.
My question.
Do they make an underground wire way with a removable top. My thinking is if we do need to open it up we can at-least remove the grate and then remove cover.
I don’t ever see needing to get in there if I install correctly like I am suppose to. But she wants it’s accessible
Try this: https://permatile.com/

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Directional bore. It’s cheaper and quicker. No asphalt repair unless you have to turn up in the pavement. Pointless to get to it in the future unless it was cut, and then you would already have access!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Directional bore. It’s cheaper and quicker. No asphalt repair unless you have to turn up in the pavement. Pointless to get to it in the future unless it was cut, and then you would already have access!
I think this customer has streets named after her.
One Way

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
No one in town but one guy does directional drilling I thought of doing it but I am spread to thin.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
There are precast utility trenches available, also precast drainage trenches.

IMHO installing suitable conduit in a drainage trench isn't a horrible idea, just expensive. It probably makes more sense to spend the extra money on more robust conduit.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
There are precast utility trenches available, also precast drainage trenches.

IMHO installing suitable conduit in a drainage trench isn't a horrible idea, just expensive. It probably makes more sense to spend the extra money on more robust conduit.
I was hoping if I could find a underground raceway with removable cover I could just lay wires in and save on labor

david

My question.
Did you ask her about adding a spare conduit to address her concerns of needing to cut the asphalt in the future

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Did you ask her about adding a spare conduit to address her concerns of needing to cut the asphalt in the future
That an option.
She is extremely paranoid, she wants it accessible for easy.
End of world and finding wire may be a problem vs opening a cover and fix a damaged wire.

But wire should not have a problem if it does it would be at either ends. Never seen a wire go bad in conduit.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If the customer writes the requirements on a large enough check....

IMHO use some standard precast trench/trough product so that you don't need to engineer the structure to hold whatever drives over it, then use 'cable I'm conduit' to save the installation labor.

When evaluating the above suggestion, keep in mind that outdoor installation is not my business.

Jonathan

Birken Vogt

If it were the End of The World, the last thing I would be doing is looking for wire. :rolleyes:

-Hal
I get it but that's what customer is asking for.

How often do these hare brained $$,$$$ ideas pan out in everybody's experience?

Every time somebody comes to me with stuff like this, I tell them it's expensive, do all the legwork, then they say no thanks anyway.

Usually I wind up telling them to do it conventional, they don't like it, look elsewhere to someone else who tells them the same thing, then use the second opinion guy to build it conventionally.

It is frustrating.

That an option.
She is extremely paranoid, she wants it accessible for easy.
End of world and finding wire may be a problem vs opening a cover and fix a damaged wire.

But wire should not have a problem if it does it would be at either ends. Never seen a wire go bad in conduit.

I dont understand her thinking. The conduit won't go bad, and if the conductors do you can pull them out and new ones in. If you put a spare in, you are covered for just about anything. Plus....the way I would and have done that is just dig a few inches below the asphalt and fill it all in with concrete. In the extremely unlikely event you need to get to a section of the conduit, breaking up some of the concrete is pretty easy.