Differential Protection Relay for Delta Star Power Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhi

I m an Engineer
Occupation
Electrical & Instrumentation Engineer
I have browsed lots on internet but I can't understand its concept and why CT is connected in star-delta configuration. I have attached its drawing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220729-112537_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20220729-112537_Office.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 14

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Abhi

I m an Engineer
Occupation
I don't know much about this type of protection relay but I found this on the internet. It seemed to explain it pretty well.

I had already read this article, not explained elaborately.

AdrianWint

A star/delta or delta/star transformer has a phase shift of 30 deg across it. ie. the primary & secondary voltages are not in phase.

The 'old' way of cancelling out this phase shift for a differential protection relay connected across such a transformer was to connect the CTs on the star winding side in delta & the CTs on the delta winding side in star. This method corrects the phase shift across the transformer.

More modern protection relays do this using software.

Abhi

I m an Engineer
Occupation
A star/delta or delta/star transformer has a phase shift of 30 deg across it. ie. the primary & secondary voltages are not in phase.

The 'old' way of cancelling out this phase shift for a differential protection relay connected across such a transformer was to connect the CTs on the star winding side in delta & the CTs on the delta winding side in star. This method corrects the phase shift across the transformer.

More modern protection relays do this using software.
How difference in CT current is managed in restraining coil?? How and what is happening there bcoz ct current in LV side will be higher.

AdrianWint

You still need to chose your CT ratios to be the reverse of your transformer ratios (remembering to account for difference in current due to the delta/star relationship as well as the winding ratio) such that the output of both sets of CTs cancel with normal transformer operation.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
How difference in CT current is managed in restraining coil?? How and what is happening there bcoz ct current in LV side will be higher.
The primary and secondary CT ratios may be different, however their output current will need to be the same.

paulengr

You are just mirroring the actual currents and then comparing them. If there are no faults or measurement errors, in should equal out.

In the real world measurement errors exist and harmonics do not experience the same phase shifts depending on if they are 0, positive, or negative sequence. CT saturation exists. So in practice other coils in the relay (restraint) shape the response to avoid reacting to errors.

paulengr

You are just mirroring the actual currents and then comparing them. If there are no faults or measurement errors, in should equal out.

In the real world measurement errors exist and harmonics do not experience the same phase shifts depending on if they are 0, positive, or negative sequence. CT saturation exists. So in practice other coils in the relay (restraint) shape the response to avoid reacting to errors.

paulengr

Status
Not open for further replies.