Digital Signs around gasoline pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholson737

I've been asked to develop a platform for doing video advertising above or to the side of gasoline pumps. The liability issues are of primary concern. I've been doing a lot of reasearch and studying the NEC codes but it's not real clear. Class 1 Division 2 may apply but my signs will be well above the 18" limit. Does anybody have any experience with this? Also, this will be deployed in Canada. Are the issues different?

Thanks,

Rob

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Digital Signs around gasoline pumps

They may be above 18" but could still be in a Division 2 location. See the Figure 514.3.

In the US you would need to refer to ANSI/UL 87-1995, Power-Operated Dispensing Devices for Petroleum Products for more details.

The Canadian Electrical Code prefers the Zone system of electrical area classification. I don't know the equivalent CSA Standard.

Edit Add: There are several digital products that are suitable for both Division and Zone 2. You would need to approach the certifiying authorities (UL or CSA)for proper application.

[ April 20, 2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

lile001

Re: Digital Signs around gasoline pumps

Rob,

I sent you a private message about this subject, please check your messages under "My Profile" for further info.

--Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.