Dimension of Handhole Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgarett

I will have two sets of 2" PVC conduit in an underground junction box or hand-hole enclosure.
One set will enter from one side. One will exit directly opposite (straight pull). The other will exit to the side (angle pull). All of the conduits will enter the hand-hole enclosure from the bottom, probably with a 45 degree angle (for easier wire pulling).
What section of the NEC do I use for sizing the hand-hole enclosure? Do I use 314.28(A)(1) and (2)? Or can I use 314.30(A), which references 314.28(A)(2) Exception?
If I use 314.30(A), is there a minimum length and width. 314.30(A) does not indicate that a minimum length or width is required, only a depth.
Basically, I am confused on how to properly size underground junction boxes.
Thank you.

Cavie

if you read 314.30 (A) you will see that it tells you to size length and with by 314.28(A). Also 314.71(B) (1) NEC 2008

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Or can I use 314.30(A), which references 314.28(A)(2) Exception?

Thats the one right there. Size it to comply with 312.6(A). I'm assuming this is just a pull box, no joints. Therefore since complying with 312.6 is pretty easy, now I would be thinking about how much room I need to pull and loop the conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.