Dimmable ballast failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

A client is wondering why their dimmable ballasts for cfls are failing... power quality? ... poor quality ballasts? Originally the installation wasn't done correctly and I found broken bulbs where they made contact with the trim that wasn't secured properly...if the bulbs were touching the metal trim I assume they would arc at the contact point and cause premature wear?

gar

Occupation
EE
110903-1555 EDT

What is a "dimmable ballast for a CFL" ?

Are you referring to the ballast inside a dimmable CFL or something else?

Any dimmable CFLs with which I have played do not dim very much (obviously using phase shift dimming), not at all comparable with an incandescent or LED, but are very good at producing a more nearly constant light output from a sine wave input from 100 V to 130 V. They quit at about 100 V with sine wave excitation. But this means they minimize flicker when air conditioners turn on.

RCinFL

I have tried several manf. dimmable CFL without much luck. They don't last. Most get 6-18 months life. Dimming flourescent bulbs requires tight control on bulb current. Just dropping the voltage in front of the ballast does not keep good control on current as bulb ages.

gar

Occupation
EE
110906-1144 EDT

RCinFL:

Dimmable CFLs sense phase angle of the phase shifted start point from a phase shift dimmer. The internal electronics of the bulb adjusts the bulb current based on the phase angle where conduction starts in a cycle. A phase shift dimmer, one that uses a Triac or similar device, controls the point in the cycle where conduction starts by the when the Triac is triggered. This adjusts the average voltage or current to a resistive load by varying the on time in the cycle.

If instead of adjusting average voltage by the conduction angle within a cycle you use a Variac to adjust the magnitude of a sine wave, then the electronics in the dimmable CFL simply works as an approximate constant current source to the bulb.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
110903-1555 EDT

What is a "dimmable ballast for a CFL" ?

Are you referring to the ballast inside a dimmable CFL or something else?

Any dimmable CFLs with which I have played do not dim very much (obviously using phase shift dimming), not at all comparable with an incandescent or LED, but are very good at producing a more nearly constant light output from a sine wave input from 100 V to 130 V. They quit at about 100 V with sine wave excitation. But this means they minimize flicker when air conditioners turn on.

I assume we are talking about a lamp similar to these:

http://www.blocklighting.com/c-506-triple-twin-tube-4-pin.aspx

They do make dimming ballasts for these types of lamps. For example, I think the Advance Mark X works on CF lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.