Dimmer switch interacting with lights on another switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRTG

I have a dedicated circuit for my back porch lights. It consists of a dozen LED cans, 3 fans and 3 sets of LED flood lights. The flood lights have 2 different brand LED lights in them. 2 Cree and 4 Amazon specials. The can lights are on a Lutron dimmer switch. The fans and floods are on a standard on/off switch. Last night I noticed if I have the can lights turned on and dimmer all the way up, when I turn on the flood lights, the Amazon lights will not turn on until I start to lower the dimmer for the porch cans down. If you stop the dimmer at a certain point, the Amazon special floods will strobe. I can also get the Amazon floods to sort of dim and brighten when controlling the porch cans. The Cree brand floods work normally. I've had the Amazon bulbs for over a year and they have never done this. There are no photocells in these floods. Just basic flood bases.

Something changed. But what?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sounds like the dimmer is controlling the Amazon floods. Try switching one set of the Amazon bulbs with the Cree bulbs.

This site is for electricians so we can't offer you diy info. You can go to diychatroom.com for more help

Status
Not open for further replies.