Dimmer switch quality control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envision42

Occupation
Electrician
Over the past month I’ve come across some faulty dimmer switches from different companies. Both were listed compatible per the manufacture, sized to be more than sufficient for the loads, wired correctly, properly torqued, and had more than ample space in the enclosures. Has anyone else experienced issues with quality control on the manufacturer side of dimmer switches? Just curious to get more insight on what could be some common fail points on the internal side of dimmers when installed properly.

Last edited:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Over the past month I’ve come across some faulty dimmer switches from different companies. Both were listed compatible per the manufacture, sized to be more than sufficient for the loads, wired correctly, properly torqued, and had more than ample space in the enclosures. Has anyone else experienced issues with quality control on the manufacturer side of dimmer switches? Just curious to get more insight on what could be some common fail points on the internal side of dimmers when installed properly.
I haven't had any recent bad experiences.

It's been 5 years or so, I was installing a homeowner supplied GE smart dimmer and it was faulty (I think it wouldn't turn on) so he went and bought another one. That one was faulty, too (I think it wouldn't dim).

I told the guy I was done with our experiment, and installed a standard switch

What brands are you dealing with?

What function was faulty?

Envision42

Occupation
Electrician
So the first dimmer switch issue was with an Eaton Universal 3way dimmer (Model # SUL06P-W-KB-LW). The plastic around the common side terminal was melted and the dimmer was no longer functioning. I replaced that dimmer with a Lutron Lumea 3way (Model # LECL-153PH-WH) and also convinced the homeowner to upgrade from halogen bulbs to LED retro fit bulbs. The switch has been working perfectly since then.

The second dimmer switch was a Lutron Toggler 3way switch (Model # TGCL-153PH-WH). This switch shorted out internally the first time it was turned on. Upon examination of the switch there was no short to ground as that was verified with a meter before initial power up. I did take apart the casing of the switch and found the short was inside of the dimmer itself. There was no charring or signs of a short on the wires or in the box the switch was in.

Envision42

Occupation
Electrician
It is not uncommon for a bulb to short a dimmer when it blows out. Seen it many times. Lutron dimmers are the best you can buy

Good to know.

I was under the impression that Lutron was not lacking in quality. I had dealt with alot of thier products in the yachting industry and never had failure issues like what I experienced recently.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Good to know.

I was under the impression that Lutron was not lacking in quality. I had dealt with alot of thier products in the yachting industry and never had failure issues like what I experienced recently.
How much did the ones you use in yachting industry cost on average?
Lutron dimmers like Nova, Grafik EYE and others in the "architectural grade" that are generally kept stocked at Home Depot, or even in supply houses are not the same quality as those that are marketed to residential builders, DIYers and service elecs.

Also, dimmers sometimes fry out from hot swapping lamps.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Lutron dimmers like Nova, Grafik EYE and others in the "architectural grade" that are generally kept stocked at Home Depot, or even in supply houses are not the same quality as those that are marketed to residential builders, DIYers and service elecs.

Urban legend. As long as the part number is the same they are the same device no matter where you buy them. Although, it is true that some big brand name manufacturers make lesser quality products for some large retailers but the part numbers will be different. Outdoor power equipment is one example.

Envision42

Occupation
Electrician

Not sure what the cost was as I wasn't involved in purchasing. I do remember the switches were Grafik Eye. Would be nice to run across those systems more in homes as they were really fun to work on.

And thanks, I believe the bulb remained in the socket, but I'll keep that in mind. I had another one of the same dimmers short out the exact same way. It must be a fault in the circuit. The EMT based circuit is built on a portable display platform at a college for a continuing education class, plugged into a 240v outlet, through a fused panel into a subpanel with a 100A breaker. I've checked voltages and verified there aren't any shorts in the circuit and the only thing I've found is that the little subpanel panel has the neutral and grounds bonded.

Envision42

Occupation
Electrician
Urban legend. As long as the part number is the same they are the same device no matter where you buy them. Although, it is true that some big brand name manufacturers make lesser quality products for some large retailers but the part numbers will be different. Outdoor power equipment is one example.

That makes so much sense. I've heard auto part stores do the same thing.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights

I mistyped somewhere. I was not talking about identical part # from different sources. What I meant is that architectural type models that places like Home Depot and many supply houses don't even stock are much more expensive than consumer grade models like Lumea or Skylark Contour that sell for $20-25 everywhere.

Eaton's especially known for doing this. If you've taken apart Eaton dimmers of same product # (SUL06P, for example) but different rev numbers, the circuit topology can be completely different. The only thing constant is the aesthetics. The components and schematics can drastically vary between engineering revs and the changes can be for addressing known issues, but generally it is for cost reduction. So, I believe lower priced, very high volume products are much more likely to experience quality/consistency drift than architectural grade where the latter has greater emphasis on consistency with existing installation, for example ensuring the dimming curve remains exactly the same with the other dimmers if one of them was replaced.

Last edited:

retirede

I mistyped somewhere. I was not talking about identical part # from different sources. What I meant is that architectural type models that places like Home Depot and many supply houses don't even stock are much more expensive than consumer grade models like Lumea or Skylark Contour that sell for $20-25 everywhere.

Eaton's especially known for doing this. If you've taken apart Eaton dimmers of same product # (SUL06P, for example) but different rev numbers, the circuit topology can be completely different. The only thing constant is the aesthetics. The components and schematics can drastically vary between engineering revs and the changes can be for addressing known issues, but generally it is for cost reduction. So, I believe lower priced, very high volume products are much more likely to experience quality/consistency drift than architectural grade where the latter has greater emphasis on consistency with existing installation, for example ensuring the dimming curve remains exactly the same with the other dimmers if one of them was replaced.

I won’t speak for others, but in my two plus decades in product engineering, we would never use rev levels to make two versions of the same part number to be manufactured and sold at the same time. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re saying?

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
I won’t speak for others, but in my two plus decades in product engineering, we would never use rev levels to make two versions of the same part number to be manufactured and sold at the same time. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re saying?
Not at the same time no. With Eaton dimmers, it's common for the model # to remain the same, but drastically different internally with different part #. Even if the two versions aren't made alongside, it's entirely possible to buy two items but they don't interact the same with the same LED ballast, yet the two are not distinguishable in the supply chain, because they have the same model # and same UPC. The small label on the actual item shows rev #, but that's not tied to SKU, UPC or model #.

Status
Not open for further replies.