Dimmer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

robr

Have a general question here. I installed a 120vac, 660 watt dimmer on a 120vac, 250 watt heat lamp. I have burned up 2 dimmer switches and not sure why this is happening? I know the lamp is just an incandescent load so this should work but does not, why???

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Dimmer Switch

Are you certain that the dimmer switch is not also supplying some other load? During the time it takes to replace the dimmer, is there any other load that is without power? Perhaps a motor load? I ask because you did not say whether this was a residence or an industrial facility.

jimwalker

It is rare but sometimes there is a bad batch.I would be checking this with amp meter.Other loads are a possibility but i assumed that you were replacing a working switch with a dimmer.About 5 years ago we ran into a real bad batch of 3 way switches.You might want to change brands or at least models.If nothing else you eliminate that from being the problem.Could you have a fixture with intermitent short.These kind of problems make you look bad and are costly,good luck

robr

This has no other load on it as it is wired just to the lamp only. I have had a bad batch of switches too, just seems strange. I checked the amps with a meter that is calibrated and the amps are with in the specs of the dimmer. I guess I could put a variable transformer on it if needed.

jimwalker

I think i wouldbuy a higher rated dimmer and/or change models.If it's in your home no biggy but if your making trips to customers it's costly, i know, been there
When we get them calls that a smoke is screwing up often we will change them all, just can't afford 3 trips over things like this.

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified

The heat lamp fan combinations we put in have a thermal overload which bypasses power to turn the fan on in high heat conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.