Dimmers for LED troffer lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Largo

Occupation
Church Administrator
We installed two banks of 12 2x4 LED dimmable troffer lights. What dimmer switch is compatible with those? The installer put in an incorrect one and they flicker on and off. The lights show that they pull 1.4 amps each. They are on separate 120v, 20a circuits.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Was the "installer" an electrical contractor? I know churches like to have their members do things like this and this is what happens. So now you are going to have to spend money to get an EC to come in and straighten the mess out.

-Hal

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
We installed two banks of 12 2x4 LED dimmable troffer lights. What dimmer switch is compatible with those? The installer put in an incorrect one and they flicker on and off. The lights show that they pull 1.4 amps each. They are on separate 120v, 20a circuits.
If the installer isn't an electrician I would suggest you call one and have them check the fixtures to see what dimmer is compatible with them. I would second what hillbilly said, they are probably 0-10 dimmable fixtures.
That's about as far as we can go with helping since you are not in the electrical industry.

Largo

Occupation
Church Administrator
Was the "installer" an electrical contractor? I know churches like to have their members do things like this and this is what happens. So now you are going to have to spend money to get an EC to come in and straighten the mess out.

-Hal
He was a licensed electrician and had it fully working. He got angry about a disputed charge and pulled the dimmers, and some other stuff. The wiring was okay, we just don't know what dimmer he was using, We brought in a new contractor to finish the job and it passed inspection. We had capped over the dimmer controls and no one thought about it at the time. We know the residential ones are not what we need.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
He was a licensed electrician and had it fully working. He got angry about a disputed charge and pulled the dimmers, and some other stuff. The wiring was okay, we just don't know what dimmer he was using, We brought in a new contractor to finish the job and it passed inspection. We had capped over the dimmer controls and no one thought about it at the time. We know the residential ones are not what we need.
If you brought in another contractor to finish the job, it begs the question why they did not install the correct dimmers at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.