Dimming a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geon_W

Is it possible to control the speed of a fan by using a typical dimmer used to dim light fixtures?

Are there any down sides?

480sparky

Possible, yes. A good method, no.

Most dimmers work by 'cutting off' portions of the sine wave, which isn't good for the motor.

Edit to add:

Pure sine wave:
Sine1.jpg

'Dimmer' sine wave:
Sine2.jpg

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Depends on the fan motor used. If it is a Shaded Pole motor, then yes, an old fashioned rheostat can work (but good luck finding one). If it is a motor with a capacitor (Capacitor-Start, Split-Phase etc.) where there is a centrifugal starting switch, then no, you cannot control the speed in any way. If it is a PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor), then you can use a true 1 phase VFD, but that is much more expensive.

480sparky

I don't get it. Are you trying to save a buck by using a dimmer instead of a proper speed control? We're not talking about a ton of money here....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Geon_W said:
Is it possible to control the speed of a fan by using a typical dimmer used to dim light fixtures?

Are there any down sides?

If you use a variable speed dimmer made for fans I will bet that you will get humming from the fan. I suspect you will also have the same problem from a standard dimmer.

Of course, the type of fan comes into play here. The old Hunter paddle fans could not be used with a 3 or 4 speed dimmer but had to be used with a variable speed control. They always hummed.

Geon_W

The fan specs as listed by the manufacturer are as follows.

120V,
0.24A,
20W,
RPM 3100
MOTOR TYPE: shaded pole

I've tried a 3 speed control, below are the results

lowest speed - fan stayed off
middle speed- fan ON
High speed - fan on, no increase in speed.

I now want to attempt a fully variable control, before I spent my time and money I want to know what to expext

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Geon_W said:

120V,
0.24A,
20W,
RPM 3100
MOTOR TYPE: shaded pole

I've tried a 3 speed control, below are the results

lowest speed - fan stayed off
middle speed- fan ON
High speed - fan on, no increase in speed.

I now want to attempt a fully variable control, before I spent my time and money I want to know what to expext

Sounds like something isn't wired right, or its a bad fan. Why not just return it and get another one?

If you really want a speed control, look online at Hunter fans and Casablanca fans. They make speed controls made for fans.

Steve

electricalperson

most new fans ive installed recently come with a controller and a remote control that allows dimming of the light kit. does the fan company offer one of these kits for your fan?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Geon_W said:

I would contact the manufacturer of th motor and find out what they require for their equipment.

480sparky

electricmanscott said:
Sounds to me like the speed switch on the fan itself was not set on high.

Maybe you should have an electrician take a look at this.

I thought of that too. Did you check to see if the fan itself is on high speed? Turn the speed control to high, then pull the chain on the fan until it gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.