Dimming K+T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

I have an older home with knob and tube wiring. Mostly the neutrals are switched for the lighting, is it feasible to install a dimmer on these switches?

iwire

Staff member
Oakey said:
I have an older home with knob and tube wiring. Mostly the neutrals are switched for the lighting, is it feasible to install a dimmer on these switches?

A typical two wire dimmer will not care if it controls the neutral or the hot.

SiddMartin

if a dimmer is limiting the voltage to the light, how could you dim on the neutral which is coming back from the light? maybe someone could explain this to me :confused:

walkerj

SiddMartin said:
if a dimmer is limiting the voltage to the light, how could you dim on the neutral which is coming back from the light? maybe someone could explain this to me :confused:

The dimmer is in series with the load so you do the math.
I'm lazy:D

480sparky

Dimmers don't work by limiting voltage. They work by 'cutting' portions of the sine wave off.

Normal Sine Wave:

Sine1.jpg

Sine Wave with Dimmer:

Sine2.jpg

Oakey

First off thank you gents for your answers so far.
I dont want to burn anything up... Are dimmers something that I can install in this house without concern? Please understand this is a 911 widows home, problems are the last thing she needs.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't think that a dimmer is any more dangerous than a regular snap switch. But if she is concerned about safety why not sell her a rewire?

e57

I do it all the time on incand. , and LV loads that the dimmer doesn't require a neutral connection and a hot.... Works fine - no Fire Dept involvement.... Seems to me that anytime K&T is brought up - ther is an inate fear of it.... Switched neutral - (Original typ. loads) no big deal IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.