Dimming LEDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMaster

I purchased some dim-able LED lamps for the ceiling fan in my master bedroom they work just fine from my wall sw dimmer, but in order to work anywhere near correctly from the remote control dimmer in the unit I have to put 1 dim-able CF in the fixture. They will not dim correctly or work at full on with all LEDs and the remote.
The wall Sw. and the remote are not in series, they are in parallel. One can operate the lights from the wall switch or the remote.
The fan is about 12 yrs old.

I am interested in any thoughts as to why this is and to help others that may run into this situation.

I am glad this happened at my house not a irate customers!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I purchased some dim-able LED lamps for the ceiling fan in my master bedroom they work just fine from my wall sw dimmer, but in order to work anywhere near correctly from the remote control dimmer in the unit I have to put 1 dim-able CF in the fixture. They will not dim correctly or work at full on with all LEDs and the remote.
The wall Sw. and the remote are not in series, they are in parallel. One can operate the lights from the wall switch or the remote.
The fan is about 12 yrs old.

I am interested in any thoughts as to why this is and to help others that may run into this situation.

I am glad this happened at my house not a irate customers!

Is your dimmer made for dimming LEDs or CFLs?

WIMaster

I doubt that the dimmer in the ceiling fan is designed for LEDs as it is about 12 years old, they probably didn't have CFLs in mind Either at that time. The fan dimmer does work OK with dim-able CFLs though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All CFL's and LED's are not created equal. You must match the Bulb to either a compatible cfl dimmer or an LED dimmer. Do not think that one dimmer can do both CFL's and LED's as most Led or CFL dimmers cannot even dim all the respective LED's and CFL's.

Basically there are no standards that have been set for the design of LED's or CFL's. This makes it virtually impossible to design an LED dimmer that will do all LED bulbs. Same is true for CFL. Lutron has matched their dimmers to philips bulbs and will not guarantee that they will work properly with any other brand. At least that was true a year ago.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
All CFL's and LED's are not created equal. You must match the Bulb to either a compatible cfl dimmer or an LED dimmer. Do not think that one dimmer can do both CFL's and LED's as most Led or CFL dimmers cannot even dim all the respective LED's and CFL's.

Basically there are no standards that have been set for the design of LED's or CFL's. This makes it virtually impossible to design an LED dimmer that will do all LED bulbs. Same is true for CFL. Lutron has matched their dimmers to philips bulbs and will not guarantee that they will work properly with any other brand. At least that was true a year ago.

Here is Lutron's list of dimmable bulbs. I think it is the latest but not sure. It is however only a couple of months old.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/CFL LED Bulb list.pdf

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Great Bill... I see they have expanded the list quite a bit. :thumbsup:

They say they just don't put a bulb on the list because it is new or a lot of people are using it. They claim to test each bulb with their dimmers before adding it to the list. I hope they do more than just turn it on, dim or brighten, then turn it off & add to the list. I hope they have a little ole lady there using it for several days.:D

ctmike

I belive Lutron has come out with a dimmer that does cfls and leds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.