Dimming lights throughout house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robpags

I have a customer that is having an issue with all the lights in the house dimming substantially whenever a motor load turns on. He says it has been getting worse over the past few months. I've checked voltages at the main (120v/240v). All is well. I've checked all his motors in the house, nothing unusual. BUT.. He says every night at 10:30pm the 6 living room can lights (on a Digital Mystro dimmer) goes completely off and then completely on again. Happens same time every night. Other rooms have the same lights and dimmer in the house and they are not affected. Any ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a customer that is having an issue with all the lights in the house dimming substantially whenever a motor load turns on. He says it has been getting worse over the past few months. I've checked voltages at the main (120v/240v). All is well. I've checked all his motors in the house, nothing unusual. BUT.. He says every night at 10:30pm the 6 living room can lights (on a Digital Mystro dimmer) goes completely off and then completely on again. Happens same time every night. Other rooms have the same lights and dimmer in the house and they are not affected. Any ideas???

Ghost Busters!:p

Can't explain the can lights going off, but you might check the neutral for the others that are dimming when a motor load comes on. Usually though some lights will get brighter and others dim if it's the neutral.

Maybe also check each leg. I would load some circuits on each leg (especially motor loads) while checking the voltages. Check L-L, L-N, L-G. Also put an amp clamp on and check the draw.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I won't add to the dimming question except to second the recommendation for testing with a substantial load that you can control while making the measurements.
As for the light going off, I would think about a capacitance bank or tap changer switching on the POCO side at the same time each night. It could be causing a noise spike or glitch that is only affecting that dimmer and load combination.
Or maybe the programmed timer entry he forgot that he set. :angel:

Tapatalk!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Check for loads that cycle precicely. POCO switching as mentioned, but defrost heaters on refrigerator or freezers is another. There used to be a timer on some to set the operation cycle. Not sure about Air to Air heat pumps but they do go into a defrost mode where your electric back up comes on. Leave your min/max reading amp clamps hooked up over night or stay for supper and the 10:pM news.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Is this Maestro programmable. Is it accidentally programmed to go off? How long are the lights off.

Occupation
Inspector
I have a customer that is having an issue with all the lights in the house dimming substantially whenever a motor load turns on. ........ Any ideas???

If you have not looked at this thread I would give it some consideration -- Lights Winking

Final outcome, POCO had a problem at the transformer that also affected two other neighbors that were having the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.