dimming lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

relbas

I have a customer that recently changed the outdoor condenser and every time the condenser kik's on the lights are dimming for the split second and he hears that the wire is shaking inside the EMT.
I checked for lose connection but could not locate nothing wrong .
The unit feed with # 6 conductor(50 Amp breaker) and before it lives the house it spliced to # 8 UF conductor . The name plate is reading 29 Amp at 230 V.
I was reading 35 Amp at start up and 9 Amp running current.
The main feeder to the house is 200 Amp with 3/0 wire no lose connection there.
Any ideas?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had the same problem on a house I wired 12 years ago. The original a/c never caused an issue with the lights but when they replaced it with a high end unit the lights dimmed. The hvac guys did everything including installing a soft start and finally had to change the brand new unit out to satisfy the customer.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yea Same issue I had once. The is may be the codenser may have a scroll compressor. Those type compressors have a very high start current for a split second. They will rattle the wires in conduit. The only thing I can suggest is using Nm cable. Or change to flex or MC.

brian john

I have posted a short blurb in the pastr regarding this issue. Search this forum for dimming. I’d do it but I am toooo tired.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.