Dimming Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiz

Hello, I was googling a problem and found this forum. I have read two threads about dimming receptacles and would like some simple advice. My parents have a remodeled home in which the contractors allowed the outlets on two walls to be wired as dimming outlets. Really bad, especially because I don't want the tv or attached expensive devices to be ruined.

My father (trained electrician working as a janitor) told me he has to tear down the entire wall to fix the problem. I disagreed but am the daughter and newly graduated chemical engineer. Can I fix the problem myself? The buzzing from the tv is bad. Will replacing the switch to an on/off style solve the issue? It looks really simple for me to do while my dad's out of the house. Or could he reroute the outlets' wires to the adjoining room's system as a permanent fix to keeping the overhead dimmed lighting?

P.S. I haven't opened up the outlets yet to see if there are extra/ loose wires hanging around.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You should contact a local EC, the cost of hiring an EC to fix the problem is probably a lot less than losing electronic equipment.
With that said I am closing this thread in accordance with the forum rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.