Direct burial cable ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

This may have been brought up before. I use 4/0 al "triplex" for service risers and service entrance conductors in raceways. I am not convinced this is a legal use for this type of conductor though "I've always done it this way" :grin:

The wire in question is 2-4/0 AL conductors with a 2/0 neutral that has a yellow stripe for identification.

A buddy of mine just installed a 200 amp service on a new house using the above method and the inspector wants to see something that shows the cables are sunlight resistant and can be used indoors.

I know the conductors I use are sunlight resistant because it is printed right on them. I don't know what brand he used.

As for the indoors part of the equation, I'm just not sure. If the cable is listed as USE then I'd say it can't be used indoors.

Thoughts?

raider1

Staff member
If this cable is not dual rated as another conductor type and just listed as USE it is not permitted to be installed aboveground except where it emerges from grade and is terminated in an enclosure at an outdoor location and the cable is protected in accordance with 300.5(D). Take a look at 338.12(B)(2) of the 2008 NEC.

Chris

electricmanscott

It is labled USE-2 sunlight resistant. I don't see this is being legal but like I said I've probably done hundreds of overhead services with this stuff. :roll:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We use a similar cable Scott, except ours is made by Alcan I believe and is also dual rated as RHH RHW. I'd be having a chat with your supply house, they should be carrying the dual rated cable for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.