Direct Burial MV 25kV cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLinn

Occupation
Engineer
Issue was discussed with the AHJ in reference to Figure 310.60 detail 7 and 8. Is there a more detailed definition of tri-plex cable with-in the NEC? Paralleled cable runs from the mfg. on the reels are similar in look, but not truly tri-plex cable. In the direct burial application, the heat dissipation factors, I assume, are the reasons for the separation of conductors and circuits. We were running in conduit on this particular project, but the AHJ asked us why we ran the tri-plex in the PVC. That is what brought me to this point with other projects coming soon after that are very similar in construction. Thoughts?

JoeStillman

Closest thing to a definition is in 392.6, Messenger Supported Wiring;
Messenger-Supported Wiring. An exposed wiring support
system using a messenger wire to support insulated conductors
by any one of the following:
(1) A messenger with rings and saddles for conductor support
(2) A messenger with a field-installed lashing material for
conductor support
(3) Factory-assembled aerial cable
(4) Multiplex cables utilizing a bare conductor, factory assembled
and twisted with one or more insulated conductors,
such as duplex, triplex, or quadruplex type of construction

Note that the ampacity tables of 310.60 make a distinction between "Insulated Three-Conductor cable" 310.60(C)(71) and "Triplex" cable 310.60(C)(72).

Not sure what the AHJ meant by the question. Could have been "why in conduit", or "why that kind of cable".

KLinn

Occupation
Engineer
Ok, 396.2(4) great info. for definition.
Let me better clarify. The conduit was underground, with 3-4/0 aluminum 25kV cables, no ground as she approved the concentric neutral as an acceptable replacement . With the available supply of cables now, this cable is listed for direct burial. I think that was her question reference that she would have accepted direct buried. Since it was not purchased as tri-plex, just paralleled, we didn't even consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.