Disc Sander Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim B.

Just received delivery of a new disc sander. It is a 1 Phase 220 Volt as you can see in the picture. The plug appears to be a standard 120 Volt household plug. Am i missing something? Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• Sander.jpg
    Sander.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 94

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Probably not going to run off of 120V.
Will probably need to cut the plug off and install a 240V plug.
That being said, a 240/230 motor chart shows 12 amps for 2 HP @ 240 volt!!!
6 amps at 240V for single phase is good for 3/4 HP.
Best check that sander for "CoronaVirus".

Last edited:

retirede

Probably not going to run off of 120V.
Will probably need to cut the plug off and install a 240V plug.
That being said, a 240/230 motor chart shows 12 amps for 2 HP @ 240 volt!!!
6 amps at 240V for single phase is good for 3/4 HP.
Best check that sander for "CoronaVirus".

Horsepower ratings of hand tools and small air compressors are notoriously overstated.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Yes, it is incorrect.
220 volts, 6.6 amps, and the ever-elusive perfect power factor would only be 1452 watts of input power.
Unless you believe in over-unity motors, (delivering more power than they're supplied with) the electrical power going into the motor is less than the mechanical power coming out.

Yet another example of the SI (metric) system eliminating confusion before it starts:
In the SI system, there's only one unit of power (the watt) and it would be plainly obvious that the 1492 watts of power coming out of the motor is more than the (hypothetical maximum) 1452 watts of power going in.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I believe I would plug it in and check it with an ammeter. If it truly needs 240 volts, it won’t hurt it.
be different the other way...

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Yet another example of the SI (metric) system eliminating confusion before it starts:
In the SI system, there's only one unit of power (the watt) and it would be plainly obvious that the 1492 watts of power coming out of the motor is more than the (hypothetical maximum) 1452 watts of power going in.

I see the same confusion. Power in is not the same as power out due to ineffiency. And since the ratings are BOTH in watts, if it is not stated, then one cannot assume if a 1500 watt motor is going to produce 1500 watts of work or draw 1500 watts of power. With watts and HP, it is OBVIOUS the HP is work done and watts are power in. Lots clearer to me!(y)

kwired

Electron manager
I think OP's main question is about it having a 120 volt plug installed on it.

Are you sure it is a 120 volt plug? 5-15 and 5-20 plugs both are 120 volts look similar to 6-15 and 6-20 plugs that are 240 volts, but have reversed orientation of plug blades to make it non interchangeable with the other voltage rated receptacles.

There are some non NEMA standard receptacles out there that have a T slot in both sides and will accept any of all four types mentioned above, not a great idea to use these even if you don't care about codes, listings, etc.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Agreed. The I in SI stands for international.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... With watts and HP, it is OBVIOUS the HP is work done and watts are power in. Lots clearer to me!(y)
Sure, nice and clear.
Of course, anybody who has a clue what a motor, engine or generator is, and what it does, has already figured out what goes in and what comes out. Having multiple different units for measuring the same thing isn't terribly helpful.
And horsepower is a measure of power, not work. And there are at least four different definitions of the horsepower.
So nice to hear it's lots clearer to you.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Just received delivery of a new disc sander. It is a 1 Phase 220 Volt as you can see in the picture. The plug appears to be a standard 120 Volt household plug. Am i missing something? Thanks for any insight.
The picture of the terminal block wiring shows that there's a jumper between U1 and V1. There is likely to be a first motor winding between terminals U1 and U2, and a second winding between V1 and V2. They are jumpered in parallel to allow operation at 110V. Verify that the jumper at the right of your picture goes between U2 and V2. I assume the black wire is connected via a switch to the hot and the white wire to neutral of the 120V input plug.
For 220V operation the windings would be placed in series.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Indicative of a reseller who doesn't give a damn... The plug in that picture is a NEMA 5-15, which would be for 120V 15A max. The nameplate is showing 220V but the Amps are incorrect for a 2HP motor. So yeah, this is messed up all around, you just don't know where the mistake is (or mistakes are). So it's going to be up to you to sort it all out;
  • Is it a 1/2HP motor wired for 220V, in which case the 6.6A is closer to being correct but the plug is wrong because that is a 120V plug.
  • Is it a 2HP motor wired for 220V, in which case the amp value is incorrect, in that it should be closer to 12A, in which case that is still the wrong plug because of the voltage.
  • Is it wired for 120V, in which case if it is 2HP, the amps would be closed to 24A and that cord and plug would be grossly under sized.
  • Is it wired for 120V and it is 1/2HP, in which case the amps would be closed to 12A, but the plug would be appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.