discharging a capacitator

Status
Not open for further replies.

la2151

HI .. has been a few yrs back & don"t remember exactly. What is the safest way to discharge a charged cap for a hid light fixture? Thanks guys. Always great to be able to come here.

mivey

HI .. has been a few yrs back & don"t remember exactly. What is the safest way to discharge a charged cap for a hid light fixture? Thanks guys. Always great to be able to come here.
Use a test light or a high-wattage ceramic resistor.

add: I"ve been guilty of it, but don't use your screwdriver.

cornbread

Lights and resitors are nice, but alway check the cap with a meter to make sure it is completely discharged . I lit myself up pretty good thinking I had fully discharged a cap on 4160 Volt soft start.

Larryc39

It's also best to leave the shorting plug on until you really need to take it off and use it. A little phantom voltage can recharge in the cap as well.

SG-1

I use a push-to-test light with a resistor added on. After watching the light go from bright to dim to out I use the push function to short out the discharge resistor removing any charge that is left.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
you have a good link to one??

shorting-probe.jpg

http://mitchellinstrument.com/produ...-w6-ft-2-awg-cable-flat-jaw-ground-clamp.html

neutral

Shorting Probe..
Add: I have also used a screwdriver in the past. Ruined a couple so I would'nt recommed it.

300 dollars for a shorting probe? :roll: no way, you can use a short piece of wire for free. or buy a couple dozen screwdrivers from the HF store to get the most bang for your buck.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.