Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Re: disconnect for spa/hot tub

See NEC section 680.12. If you are installing spas you should have a copy of the NEC.

mike1015

We do not supply the power to the spas we sell; we refer our customers to licensed electricians. The situation we have problems with is when we try to service a spa and there is not a disconnect in site. I thought per the NEC that hot tubs require a disconnect it site of the tub that is between 5' and 15', but then 680.41 says that in single-family dwellings this is not required.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

All the more reason to have an copy of the NEC.
But 680.41 refers to an emergency shut off, which is not the same as a disconnect. Here is the key section:

680.42 Outdoor Installations.
A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.

Then 680.12 is in Part I, and yes a disconnect is required.

When reading the code, we often don't pay any attention to the parts, but we need to. Any requirement in Part I applies to the entire article. Other parts can modify Part I. Your electrican just can't read the part on hot tubs with out part I.

What does the AHJ say when it is inspected? I would never install a hot tub with out a permit.

luke warmwater

The disconnect was not always required, so depending when it was installed, it might not have needed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.