Disconnect Over Floor Mounted Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues

I have attached photo of a resent transformer installation. I believe the disconnect switch would not be allowed directly over the transformer per article 110.26 but I have not been able to convince myself. I would appreciate a second opinion.

Thanks
Dan Craven

Attachments

• Disc-Trans1.jpg
    Disc-Trans1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 30

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The disconnect can be directly over the transformer. But the front face of the disconnect has to be within 6 inches of the front face of the transformer.

As to whether the disconnect needs to be fused, I cannot tell from the photo what is feeding what. If power comes from an upstream overcurrent device, through the disconnect (serving as a local disconnecting means), then to the transformer primary side, then no fuse is needed at the disconnect.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One more caution, depending on what is upstream: The SCCR of non-fused disconnects is often lower than that for similar fused disconnects, so you need to have some idea what the available fault current is at the disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager
The disconnect can be directly over the transformer. But the front face of the disconnect has to be within 6 inches of the front face of the transformer.

As to whether the disconnect needs to be fused, I cannot tell from the photo what is feeding what. If power comes from an upstream overcurrent device, through the disconnect (serving as a local disconnecting means), then to the transformer primary side, then no fuse is needed at the disconnect.
I agree. Plus if it is a non fused disconnect, some AHJ's don't require 110.26 working clearance. NEC is somewhat vague as to what 110.26 does and does not apply to. Some will say if it has overcurrent protection it is more likely to be examined, adjusted, etc while energized, but if just a switch there is little/nothing to examine or adjust.

jumper

I agree. Plus if it is a non fused disconnect, some AHJ's don't require 110.26 working clearance. NEC is somewhat vague as to what 110.26 does and does not apply to. Some will say if it has overcurrent protection it is more likely to be examined, adjusted, etc while energized, but if just a switch there is little/nothing to examine or adjust.

The heck that isn’t important for that disco to be examined, fused or not.

You wanna pop the cover off that tranny without verifying that it’s dead! Not me.

Fused or infused, I say 110.26 working clearance applies to that disco.

110.26 would not apply to the transformer.

kwired

Electron manager
The heck that isn’t important for that disco to be examined, fused or not.

You wanna pop the cover off that tranny without verifying that it’s dead! Not me.

Fused or infused, I say 110.26 working clearance applies to that disco.

110.26 would not apply to the transformer.
I won't disagree with you, but also consider code doesn't require such a disconnect to be within sight of the transformer, one might be opening it with PPE on then confirm if it is energized or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.