disconnect sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yordanys

Occupation
Electrician
Hi Guys,

Can I have help with this question I Don't understand:

why 200 amp non-fusible or a 400 amp fusible disconnect for a 300 amp branch circuit fuse.

169 flc x 115%(430.110amp)=194.35 amps minimum=200 amp non-fusible or a 400 amp fusible disconnect for a 300 amp branch circuit fuse.

Carultch

Motors introduce a lot of changes from your intuition about circuit sizing in general. It has to do with the fact that motors spike the current when they first start rotating (inrush current), but it isn't a sustained current that operates long enough to overheat a wire, busbar, or switch blade. The full load amperes (FLA) and full load current (FLC) values are more representative of what operates in the long term. Those sound like the same term, but there is an essential difference (think "full load actual" and "full load code" to remember it).

When sizing fuses and breakers on the motor circuit, it is important to size it to avoid of nuisance tripping. I.e. tripping under conditions where there is no fault or overload, and it shouldn't trip. Motors loads usually contain their own internal overload protection device built for the motor application anticipating this issue, and the circuit's fuse or breaker is for short-circuit protection. If fuse sizing rules tell you to use a 300A fuse, you can't put a 300A fuse in a 200A disconnect. Therefore, when fused, it would likely have to be in a 400A disconnect.

When unfused, the unfused disconnect just has to be sized for the load, and for any safety factors that apply. An unfused disconnect can only open when manually operated. It doesn't trip, and sizing to avoid nuisance tripping doesn't apply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi Guys,

Can I have help with this question I Don't understand:

why 200 amp non-fusible or a 400 amp fusible disconnect for a 300 amp branch circuit fuse.

169 flc x 115%(430.110amp)=194.35 amps minimum=200 amp non-fusible or a 400 amp fusible disconnect for a 300 amp branch circuit fuse.
The disconnect is adequately sized for the load with the 115% factor. As Carlutch stated if you want to use a 300 amp OCPD then you obviously need a fused disconnect larger than 200 amps. In your example the two switches are performing different functions.

yordanys

Occupation
Electrician
Motors introduce a lot of changes from your intuition about circuit sizing in general. It has to do with the fact that motors spike the current when they first start rotating (inrush current), but it isn't a sustained current that operates long enough to overheat a wire, busbar, or switch blade. The full load amperes (FLA) and full load current (FLC) values are more representative of what operates in the long term. Those sound like the same term, but there is an essential difference (think "full load actual" and "full load code" to remember it).

When sizing fuses and breakers on the motor circuit, it is important to size it to avoid of nuisance tripping. I.e. tripping under conditions where are is no fault or overload, and it shouldn't trip. Motors loads usually contain their own internal overload protection device built for the motor application anticipating this issue, and the circuit's fuse or breaker is for short-circuit protection. If fuse sizing rules tell you to use a 300A fuse, you can't put a 300A fuse in a 200A disconnect. Therefore, when fused, it would likely have to be in a 400A disconnect.

When unfused, the unfused disconnect just has to be sized for the load, and for any safety factors that apply. An unfused disconnect can only open when manually operated. It doesn't trip, and sizing to avoid nuisance tripping doesn't apply.
thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.