Disconnect switch behind a door

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I have a kitchen in which there is a 100A-3P disconnect behind a door. The inspector is making us move it. I get the rational (i.e. that some could open the door while you're working on it. But is this, strictly speaking, a code violation per se?

thanks,

Mike

eprice

mshields said:
...But is this, strictly speaking, a code violation per se?

No, unless the inspector is aware of a code section that I'm not aware of. Ask him for the code reference and let me know what it is so I'll know better next time :)

P

Physis 3

Usually there isn't a problem if you can open the door and the panel clearances are met. Sometimes an inspector will gripe about it. I can't check the code right now but I think as long as the door opens your inspector just has to learn how to do that.

As far as an inspector "making" you do something that isn't code based, well, that's actually your choise.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
the bright side

the bright side

as has been pointed-out here previously...
it's the one place in the building that won't have "stuff" stacked in front of the switch.:smile:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We install panels behind bedroom doors in apartments. Actually a good place for them given the potential storage issue.

boater bill

If we couldn't put panel behind doors, there would be a huge amount of homeowners and apartment residents that would have to hang a picture over the electrical panel instead of opening a door.
I design behind a door every chance I get to keep the area in front of it clear.

I would be asking for specific code references.

SmithBuilt

I think the OP is referring to a disconnect that must remain in the line of sight of the equipment being worked on. Not so much a panel being behind a door.

Is the disco in the same room as the equipment?

P

Physis 3

Wouldn't it be easier to lock the door than move the disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.