Disconnect Switch Mounting Options

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Trying to build an assembly in my estimating database to include different mounting options.
I can only come up with the following most practical:

1. Mounted directly to concrete wall.
2. Strut mounted to wall and disconnect mounted to the strut
3. I'm not sure how disconnects are mounted when they are provided loose by the electrician and need to mount as part of a motor???
4. Freestanding strut frame. Does that happen?

Thanks and Happy Easter.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1) good option for small disconnects
2) best option for large disconnects
3) motor disconnects mounted to something within sight of the motor
4) freestanding strut frames are common in machine rooms where the equipment is in the middle of the floor not adjacent to any walls.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
1) good option for small disconnects
2) best option for large disconnects
3) motor disconnects mounted to something within sight of the motor
4) freestanding strut frames are common in machine rooms where the equipment is in the middle of the floor not adjacent to any walls.
And obviously the electrician is responsible for the free standing strut frame, correct?

Anyone have a picture of one would be great.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So good example I just came across. This motor mounted above drop ceiling. Where would disconnect get mounted? The walls are about 4' away?

1712083896376.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Mounting to a non removable panel of the unit is allowed?
I don;t know of any reason it would not be allowed space permitting.

Although a DCU is not an Art 440 application, Art 440 addresses the situation similarly.

440.14 Location. Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from, and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refriger‐ ation equipment or to obscure the equipment nameplate(s).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
thats what i was asking if there was access on the other side - not visible
Yeah that switchboard can be accessed from the front and is designed so that it can be either freestanding or against the wall.