disconnect switch requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike23

My installation is a steam plant for a University. The plant is maintained by trained technicians with a lockout/tagout procedure.

As with most industrial facilities, we don't install disconnect switches on motors.

The original inspector agreed, however, this job has had some issues w/ the contractor and so has gone on for a long time. The new inspector says that the industrial exemption in the NEC Article 430.102 only applies to licensed electricians. He said this is the intent of the NFPA based on his discussions with some of the authors of 430.

Anybody had a similar experience?

thanks

bphgravity

See Article 100 of the NEC for Qualified Person. Also see the NFPA 70E - 110.6 for more detail. In my opinion, if you meet all the requirements in the NFPA 70E and Exception (b) to 430.102(B), disconnects should not be required.

It is not within the scope of the NEC nor the inspectors job to determine qualifications of employees.

I would consult with the Building Official.

pfalcon

By NEC 430.120(B)(b) send the inspector to the staffer who must "ensure that only qualified persons service the equipment." If you have no such person then you probably don't qualify for the exemption. If you do have such a person then it is no longer the inspector's problem.

It might be tough to be qualified if you are not licensed. But it doesn't mean you are qualified if you are licensed. Fall Hazard Training may be required. Other special training may be required. These are qualifications needed at some installations well beyond being licensed.

mike23

thanks all. It seemed odd to me.

The inspector's viewpoint basically nullifies the exemption.

The LOTO procedure was provided for review, it's pretty detailed and provides information on responsible parties as well as required training for the technicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.