Disconnect Switches - manufacturers intended use

Status
Not open for further replies.

apelkner

Hello,

I have a 30A/3P/fusible disconnect switch installed in an elevator machine room for the cab lighting (120V, 15A) which was installed based on an engineers' sketch with a mistakenly copied note. Can this switch be wired with hot/neutral/ground and still pass an inspection? I wasn't sure if wiring it this way goes against the manufacturer's intended use for the switch (I know that's in the code somewhere...).

After this issue came to surface, the engineers required a 20A/1P enclosed circuit breaker to replace it, but since it is not lockable, it is not allowed to be used in the elevator machine room.

Thanks!

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The problem with the installation you describe is not so much the use of the switch, as it is the fact that neutrals (almost always) and grounds (always) are not supposed to be switched.

cadpoint

No one said one said to land the wires except the ungrounded circuits (by code), wire nut the neutral and push it back, land the grounded circuit in the block provided in the disconnect. If the block isn't provided get out some tools and put a dual ground lug in.

Stevareno

Hello,

I have a 30A/3P/fusible disconnect switch installed in an elevator machine room for the cab lighting (120V, 15A) which was installed based on an engineers' sketch with a mistakenly copied note. Can this switch be wired with hot/neutral/ground and still pass an inspection? I wasn't sure if wiring it this way goes against the manufacturer's intended use for the switch (I know that's in the code somewhere...).

After this issue came to surface, the engineers required a 20A/1P enclosed circuit breaker to replace it, but since it is not lockable, it is not allowed to be used in the elevator machine room.

Thanks!
First, neutral and ground should not be switched. Hook those up as you normally would in any disconnect. Then only use one leg of the disconnect for the hot. I don't think this would be against the manufacturer's intended use, would it? The intended use is to protect/disconnect (up to) 3 circuits simultaneously.

Second, you're saying the breaker enclosure has NO means for LOTO? I find that hard to believe. Everything from our suppliers around here always have a means for LOTO.
I suppose you could have received a cheaper enclosure from your supplier. If so, you need to send it back and get one with a means for LOTO.

Or are you saying that the breaker enclosure needs to be lockable to prevent un-authorized personnel from accessing the breaker? That is a different situation, but one I would think a supplier somewhere has a solution for.

Status
Not open for further replies.