Disconnect voltage rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Which section says disconnect voltage rating have to be greater than system voltage? I have 277V single phase mechanical equipment 20A. The toggle switch voltage rating must be greater than 277V but cannot find in NEC 2017.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it's listed and/or labeled for a certain voltage then 110.3(B) should suffice.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Which section says disconnect voltage rating have to be greater than system voltage? I have 277V single phase mechanical equipment 20A. The toggle switch voltage rating must be greater than 277V but cannot find in NEC 2017.
There is no requirement for the disconnect to have a voltage rating that is greater than the system voltage. It must have a rating at least equal to the system voltage.
There are toggle switches rated for 277 volts that are suitable for the disconnect for that equipment

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
There is no requirement for the disconnect to have a voltage rating that is greater than the system voltage. It must have a rating at least equal to the system voltage.
There are toggle switches rated for 277 volts that are suitable for the disconnect for that equipment

Where is that requirement?

Carultch

It only needs to be equal or greater. It doesn't need to be greater.

You also don't need to think about the fact that it could vary up to 290V if voltage tends to be high at your location, or the fact that 277V nominal is really 392V instantaneous. If a switch is rated for 277V, it is rated for use on any circuit that is 277V nominal, such that it can withstand the full ANSI standard tolerance that comes with that number.

It also is important that the applicable type of current (i.e. AC or DC) is acceptable within the product rating. Not usually an issue for AC, as most switches are built with AC in mind in the first place. But for DC, this can be very significant, because DC switches have additional safety issues to that govern the product design.

lordofthisworld

A single pole toggle switch rated for 277V would suffice as a disconnect means.

Status
Not open for further replies.