Disconnect within site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carultch

Not the same language, but again there is the 'grouped' requirement in 690.15. More or less amounts to the same thing.

Not necessarily. You can have equipment on a rooftop, and have its disconnect also on the roof within sight and 50 ft as the crow flies, and a walkable route between the units. This would be an example of a disconnect that is not grouped, yet still is readily accessible from the equipment, and within sight. Not readily accessible in the general sense, but readily accessible relative to the corresponding equipment.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Not necessarily. You can have equipment on a rooftop, and have its disconnect also on the roof within sight and 50 ft as the crow flies, and a walkable route between the units. This would be an example of a disconnect that is not grouped, yet still is readily accessible from the equipment, and within sight. Not readily accessible in the general sense, but readily accessible relative to the corresponding equipment.

Agreed. The "grouped" issue is at the interconnection point, I believe.

shortcircuit2

The "grouped" issue that applies to the OP SolarEdge inverter means that the AC disco must be "grouped" with the SE Inverter and its DC disco. On SE inverters the DC disco is integral to the inverter.

50 feet away is not "grouped". The other side of a fence can be considered as NOT "grouped" also.

"Grouped" as in "Located Together"

690.15 requires "grouping" of the disconnects for equipment energized from multiple sources.

Zee

WITHIN SIGHT..but from where?

WITHIN SIGHT..but from where?

smaller point:
"Within sight" I have always taken to mean
"see ac disco from inverter",
not "see inv. from disco. "
The point is not to know what device you are disconnecting when you are at a mysterious AC Disco..... but to be able to find an AC Disco when working at the inverter. Am I wrong here?
Granted this is rarely an actual issue! :roll:

Hence if you are on the ground facing the wall with the AC Disco on it...and can look up and see the inverter.... that would not qualify,
if you cannot see the DISCO behind the wall.
------------------------------------------------------------
On a related note, I often mount the inverter right around the corner, so to speak, from the MSP.
Technically,
i cannot see the MSP (and the AC disco/breaker in it) as I stand directly in front of the inverter, even though:
- they are a couple feet apart
- I just passed the MSP on my way to the Inv.
- and if i leaned a foot over I would see the MSP.
..has anyone ever been challenged on this quite common situation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.