Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Could you maybe post more information as to your question?

I am a little confused as to what your question is.

Chris

VUGear

I would normally take that to be the somewhat common shorthand some folks use to designate the disconnect, in this case 60-amp frame, 2-pole, 40-amp fuses.

However, if it's indeed fed from a 20-amp device, then I'm not so sure...

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I would normally take that to be the somewhat common shorthand some folks use to designate the disconnect, in this case 60-amp frame, 2-pole, 40-amp fuses.

However, if it's indeed fed from a 20-amp device, then I'm not so sure...

I agree with 60 amp switch, 2 poles, 40 amp fuses but the 20 amp upstream OCPD doesn't make sense.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Is it a fused disconnect? If this is the label on the disconnect itself, then I would not expect the rating of the fuses that are installed at any given moment to appear on that label. Perhaps the 40 refers to the maximum fuses, or perhaps to the rating of the disconnect itself (i.e., if it is not fused). That would leave the "60" without a clear meaning, however.

On the drawing the disconnect is annotated as 60/2/40. I understand this to mean 60A rated disconnect, 2 Pole, 40 A fuses. But the OCPD on the panel schedule says 20A 3P Am I reading the disconnect annotation correctly? The load is a condenser.

Thanks a lot

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Here's my best guess: You are reading it right, and whoever created the drawing did something wrong. So I would send the question back to the designer. :happyyes:

anbm

What's amp size /pole of actual breaker installed?
What is electrical requirement for condenser?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I could see a single pole 40 amp circuit being somewhat equivalent to the 3 pole 20 amp circuit. The equipment could be one or the other.

Lady Engineer

My guess, the 20A breaker is a typo on the panel schedule. :dunce:

You don't need the 40A fuses, anyway, if it's fed from a c.b. You just need the 60A/2P disconnect and the c.b breaker feeding it. I guess it could be rated 40A/2p or 20A/2p, what's the nameplate say on the unit?

RobbieR

On the drawing the disconnect is annotated as 60/2/40. I understand this to mean 60A rated disconnect, 2 Pole, 40 A fuses. But the OCPD on the panel schedule says 20A 3P Am I reading the disconnect annotation correctly? The load is a condenser.

Thanks a lot
Fused disconnect: 60A Frame, 2 pole, 40A Fuses.

But why is there a 3 Pole, 20A OCPD upstream? That won't work with a 2 pole disconnect. Also not sure why you would need fuses. Looks like a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.