Disconnecting means from overhead utility weather-head going directly inside building.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello. There is an existing commercial building that is being fed from a pole mounted transformer. The overhead cabling is going directly over the building with a weather head and vertically penetrates from the roof to the main panel location with a 600AMP main breaker. The meter is on the outside of the building with wiring from the CT on the weather head i believe. I believe that is NEC compliant. Since it has a main breaker disconnect at the panel it enters overhead. Is that correct?

In my area i typically see weatherhead to the meter location with a disconnect (exterior) and then it goes inside to a interior panel. Or underground to the meter or even underground to main panel inside with a disconnect. First seeing it directly going inside to building in my area. See attached picture.

thank you

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    440.7 KB · Views: 20

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where is the service equipment located with respect to the point of entrance of the service conductors?
230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location.
The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Where is the service equipment located with respect to the point of entrance of the service conductors?

It goes vertically down from the weather head to the main panel of the building with a main circuit breaker on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 4.png
    Screenshot 4.png
    399.4 KB · Views: 8