Disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

oat

Occupation
Electrician
I work for a company that builds louvered pergolas (as seen below). We put up hundreds of these per year and never have any issues. This one is in Key Largo, FL. There are 3 dedicated 20 AMP GFCI protected circuits running into the pergola (fans, lights and convenience receptacles). I've failed inspection for not having means of disconnect, I have a GFCI installed for each circuit so everything is protected and able to be shut off right there instead of having to run to the electrical room. The inspector is arguing that since I have more than one circuit in the pergola I will have to install a 3 phase disconnect on one of the posts to be able to manually shut off all power. This is the first time I have heard of this and can't find something in the NEC to help me move forward. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is a detached structure and you are not under the 2020 NEC then you are only allowed one branch circuit to the building. The 2020NEC you can have up to six but they all must be in their own disconnect box- 3 phase disconnect is not needed

oat

Occupation
Electrician
If this is a detached structure and you are not under the 2020 NEC then you are only allowed one branch circuit to the building. The 2020NEC you can have up to six but they all must be in their own disconnect box- 3 phase disconnect is not needed
Where can I find this in the 2020 code?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where can I find this in the 2020 code?
225.30 (B) It is a new section.

(B) Common Supply Equipment.

Where feeder conductors originate in the same panelboard, switchboard, or other distribution equipment, and each feeder terminates in a single disconnecting means, not more than six feeders shall be permitted. Where more than one feeder is installed in accordance with this section, all feeder disconnects supplying the building or structure shall be grouped in the same location, and the requirements of 225.33 shall not apply. Each disconnect shall be marked to indicate the load served.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For the basic rule see 225.30
Its long been a requirement in the NEC that a separate building is limited to only one circuit. If you want more than one circuit then you install a feeder, with a panel, and grounding electrodes (250.32)
However, if you have only one branch circuit, Then you only need a disconnecting means (snap switch), Art 100 Disconnecting Means) and a GFCI is not disconnecting means
And a multiwire branch circuit, EG 12-3 UF with ground) is considered a single branch circuit (Art 100) and 250.32A ex, and 223.32, then no grounding electrodes are required.
What I would suggest is
1. Run a feeder to the pergola, install a small panel board, probably 6 circuit and grounding electrode system
2. Run a 20 amp MWBC (2 pole common trip breaker at source) to the pergola, use a 2 pole disconnect switch. One ckt to receptacles, one for lights and fan.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I work for a company that builds louvered pergolas (as seen below). We put up hundreds of these per year and never have any issues. This one is in Key Largo, FL. There are 3 dedicated 20 AMP GFCI protected circuits running into the pergola (fans, lights and convenience receptacles). I've failed inspection for not having means of disconnect, I have a GFCI installed for each circuit so everything is protected and able to be shut off right there instead of having to run to the electrical room. The inspector is arguing that since I have more than one circuit in the pergola I will have to install a 3 phase disconnect on one of the posts to be able to manually shut off all power. This is the first time I have heard of this and can't find something in the NEC to help me move forward. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
The inspector is correct but he should have provided you with the article and section.

Roger

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I can't tell if the pergola is connected to the house. If it is, then it's not a separate structure, right, so there'd be no issue?

Cheers, Wayne

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
2. Run a 20 amp MWBC (2 pole common trip breaker at source) to the pergola, use a 2 pole disconnect switch. One ckt to receptacles, one for lights and fan.
This one has my vote. (y) I thought lights and fans on one circuit as I read the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.