Disconnects on line and load side of meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric sr

Is there a situation that you can think of that would require a disconnect on the line AND load side of your service meter? :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, if the power company requires a line side disconnect for cold sequence metering. The line side disconnect is not the service disconnect and is locked by the power company.

dnem

A service disconnect can be installed on the line side in order to satisfy a power company requirement for a meter disconnect, but that disconnect can not be locked. . If the power company will be adding a lock, then the locked one is classified as a meter disconnect only and an additional disconnect [with OCPD] is required which would be the service disconnect.

A second disconnect serving only as a meter disconnect is not required to have OCPD but must be rated for the available interrupting rating/AIR/AIC. . Be aware that many unfused disconnects are only rated for 10K AIC.

eric sr

Thank you for the help...

Thank you for the help...

Thanks for the fast response, it's great to have a place like this to go to and get answers to those nagging questions. I was not sure if I would get laughed at, some of the questions on this board are very good ones. Anyway thanks again!!!

P.S. I do realize this thread is for lightning, but wasn't sure where to post, it would be cool if there were a few more catagories....:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.