Dishwasher and insta hot same circuit

This issue of the 50% of branch circuit fasten in place equipment has come up again. We have found where they decided to put the dishwasher and the insta hot plugged into the same duplex receptacle, and same circuit. I recommended that they should have dishwasher on a dedicated circuit etc.. Also, we have found that the circuit is feeding other outlets in a hallway, which is also not good. This is commercial not residential, Would you put the insta hot and dishwasher on the same circuit, even though they are 'fastened in place' appliances?

This issue of the 50% of branch circuit fasten in place equipment has come up again. We have found where they decided to put the dishwasher and the insta hot plugged into the same duplex receptacle, and same circuit. I recommended that they should have dishwasher on a dedicated circuit etc.. Also, we have found that the circuit is feeding other outlets in a hallway, which is also not good. This is commercial not residential, Would you put the insta hot and dishwasher on the same circuit, even though they are 'fastened in place' appliances?
Depends on what you mean by "would you". If I was running wiring for this situation, then never. If it was already there and running a new circuit was difficult or not an option then id give it a try and see if it works ok . 😉

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Seems like too much for a single 15A receptacle, but not too much for a 20A branch circuit where the dishwasher and instahot each had their own receptacle. To my understanding it's only a code violation because there are other general use receptacles on the same circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would if the total amperage were less than the circuit ampacity and no other outlets. Without the receptacles in the hallway on the same circuit the 50% fastened in place rule would not apply.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Don't you have to break the tab a wire it like a multi-wire though?
No, 5-15 receptacles are rated for 20A feed through.

If you think about it, since 5-15 receptacles are rated for use on 20A circuits, any user can come along and plug two different loads into the the two receptacles, so they had best be so rated.

Cheers, Wayne

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
If it is only supplied with two conductors breaking the tab just isolates the two halves of the receptacle from one another.

Ya. I thought that using the device to power both the top and bottom is what limited it to 15A. And that splitting them allowed for each to be 15A.

I was confused on what the 15A rated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ya. I thought that using the device to power both the top and bottom is what limited it to 15A. And that splitting them allowed for each to be 15A.

I was confused on what the 15A rated.
Each receptacle of the 15 amps duplex is rated for 15 amps by the configuration of the device. If you use a 20 amp circuit each receptacle can handle up to a 15 amp load. So if you had a 20 amp circuit with a 15 amp duplex receptacle you could plug a 12 amp load into one side and an 8 amp load into the other side of the duplex.