Dishwasher Disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljefetaco

I am trying to close a permit and bring a house up to code. I want to make sure my interprtation of the code is correct. I believe for a dishwasher you can use either an outlet with plug or you simply put a breaker locking device on the breaker so it can be locked in the open position. I believe 422.31 (B) allows this. Or am I wrong and 422.16 (b) (2) need apply?

hurk27

you are correct, but if you chose to use a cord and plug make sure it is accessible, we install them under the sink, if you have a garbage disposal, just split the hot side of a duplex and wire it hot all the time for the dishwasher. you can't use this as a disconnect, if you put the receptacle behind the unit.

Howard Burger

dw recept. behind dw

dw recept. behind dw

You are correct, but if you chose to use a cord and plug make sure it is accessible, we install them under the sink

Hurk, what about 422.16 (B)(2)(5). To work on a dw, the cord/plug would become accessable when the unit is pulled out to be worked on, right? Now, it's been a couple years since I did a resi, but we mostly put the recept. behind the dw because the local inspectors were enforcing 210.4 (B) and wanting a 2pole breaker for the dw/gd receptacle under the sink. Either it was that, or they wanted a dedicated circuit for the dw, I forget.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is my understanding that if a cord and plug device is used for a dishwasher it must be listed for the purpose.

celtic

I would think it is still accessible if located behind the unit

But you do have to rely on the plumber too for that access. Sometimes you can't remove the appliance without working on it.

I installed about 100 DWs this way in '05 - '06 [in NJ ]....EI had no issues with "accessibility".

Personally, I prefer them in the adjacent cabinet....but that is not "code" ~ just one of the two options ;)

macmikeman

My method is to put a switch in adjacent cabinet and hard wire DW off of the switch. That makes some jumpy about securing cables within prescribed distances. Staples are made that work for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.