Dishwasher GFCI Under Sink

electrabishi

Occupation
EE
In going through the 2023 Code Review course this year there is an Authors comment in section 23 Changes - Article 422 – Appliances, that states "The receptacle for the dishwasher is not permitted to be a GFCI because it is not in a readily accessible spot as required by 210.8"

However 210.8(A)7 requires receptacles within 6 ft of the sink to be GFCI protected.

Why would under a sink not be accessible by opening the door, much as opening the drawer under a range allows the range outlet to be considered accessible?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Did the comment 'assume' that the outlet for the dishwasher was behind the dishwasher, and not next door??

electrabishi

Occupation
EE
The graphic immediately prior to the comment shows the dishwasher cord coming through the adjacent compartment and plugging in right under the sink.

electrabishi

Occupation
EE
The graphic immediately prior to the comment shows the dishwasher cord coming through the adjacent compartment and plugging in right under the sink.
And even f it was adjacent to the sink and the receptacle was in the dishwasher compartment, it may still be 6 ft from the sink and still be required to be GFCI, protected. Right?

electrabishi

Occupation
EE
In going through the 2023 Code Review course this year there is an Authors comment in section 23 Changes - Article 422 – Appliances, that states "The receptacle for the dishwasher is not permitted to be a GFCI because it is not in a readily accessible spot as required by 210.8"

However 210.8(A)7 requires receptacles within 6 ft of the sink to be GFCI protected.

Why would under a sink not be accessible by opening the door, much as opening the drawer under a range allows the range outlet to be considered accessible?
I'm sorry if I did not specify, I am referring to Mike Holts 2023 code review course.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the GFI trips someone will be sure to find it otherwise they will be doing dish's by hand

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
If the GFI trips someone will be sure to find it otherwise they will be doing dish's by hand
I do dishes by hand. No problem.
GFI protection is not required.
BTW, I have approved GFI receptacle outlets under sinks as I have never had to move anything to get to them.
IMO, the homeowner is the one to create a lot of violations that are listed in the code.

Ron

electrabishi

Occupation
EE
My point of the comment was that the Authors Comment in the course should be modified slightly.
Here was the comment:

"The receptacle for the dishwasher is not permitted to be a GFCI because it is not in a readily accessible spot as required by 210.8"

But who's to say the space under the kitchen sink is not readily accessible. Mine is. The code only defines what accessible and readily accessible is. It does not say GFCI Receptacles are not permitted under a sink.

And I guess the comment has to be qualified or explained a little.
Like PaulMmn says, the presumption may be that its in the dishwasher compartment.
In which case it would be inaccessible.
But the graphic shows the cord coming across to under the sink.

Maybe the comment should read:
"The receptacle for the dishwasher is not may not be permitted to be a GFCI because it is not in a readily accessible spot as required by 210.8 if the AHJ determines the space under the sink is not readily accessible according to 210.8"