dishwasher outlets behind dishwasher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourcream22

What is the proper way to install a corded dishwasher?

I read in the code that the receptical must be accessible. I have read a rather long thread on this forum with people arguing about if the outlet can be behind the dishwasher or if it must be behind the sink. If the dishwasher slides out easily and drain/water hoses and electrical cord are long enough to move the unit out into the kitchen two feet away from its enclosure can the outlet be located behind the dishwasher, i.e. is it considered accessible?. The dishwasher has its own 20 amp GFIC outlet connected to its own breaker via 12 gauge wire. I know GFIC is not necessary when it is under the kitchen sink but I read it will ensure the "graceful failure" of a dishwasher if it does fail.

People cited a possible cause of concern to be vibration causing the plug to become lose. However if it is connected to a GFIC it should be alright? I don't see the dishwasher vibrating much anyway... it's not a washing machine..

I am in westchester county by the way. It seems that people are saying different things about this issue.

Thank you. :)

People cited a possible cause of concern to be vibration causing the plug to become lose.

Only if the machine is touching the plug.

422.16(B)(2) tells us:
(3) Receptacles shall be located to avoid physical damage to the flexible cord.
(4) The receptacle shall be located in the space occupied by the appliance or adjacent thereto.
(5) The receptacle shall be accessible.

I would consider an outlet mounted behind the dishwasher as not accessible if you have to remove the dishwasher to get to it (100: Accessible (as applied to equipment). Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means.).

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

422.16(B)(2) tells us:
(4) The receptacle shall be located in the space occupied by the appliance or adjacent thereto.

I would consider an outlet mounted behind the dishwasher as not accessible if you have to remove the dishwasher to get to it (100: Accessible (as applied to equipment). Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means.).

I agree.

FWIW, the receptacle behind the dishwasher is a bad design.

jumper

Disagree, not having to move an obstacle is addressed in the definition of Readily Accessible IMO.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

422.16(B)(2) tells us:

So in that case is my refrigerator (which you have to move to access) and my stove to be wired incorrectly???:cry:
It is my opinion accessible in this respect means when the appliance is not "in place". Consider this aspect: If the receptacle was NOT accessible, you wouldn't be able to plug in the appliance.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It is my opinion accessible in this respect means when the appliance is not "in place". Consider this aspect: If the receptacle was NOT accessible, you wouldn't be able to plug in the appliance.

At the time of dishwasher installation it is accessible & code compliant but after the dishwasher is installed then it is not accessible.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
At the time of dishwasher installation it is accessible & code compliant but after the dishwasher is installed then it is not accessible.
IMO, the accessible requirement is for the purpose of installation... not after installation. I reason the 3-4ft cord requirement is so its long enough to plug in before the appliance is in place. Also note we are talking about a built-in appliance (all but the face concealed), the cord length is require to be measure from the rear plane of the appliance, and the receptacle is required to be located in the space occupied by the appliance or adjacent thereto.

I do concede that the requirements can be interpreted as you have. As such, opinions will likely not change until the wording is changed to be more explicit.

The receptacle is accessible, simply move the dishwasher.

IME most in-counter dishwashers are screwed in to the counter whereas most refrigerators and stoves are not. The latter tend to slide in/out comparatively freely. And I saw one dishwasher couple of years ago that was blocked in by the floor tile installed after it- no way to remove it without removing 3/8" floor tile or some of the tile counter-top edging. As far as I know, it's still broken.

Officially "accessible" or not, it's still bad practice, and probably more work than doubling up with a switched disposer output.

jumper

The only real problem with a dishwasher receptacle behind a dishwasher is the disconnecting means if a unit switch does not have an OFF position.

This is from an IAEI Q and A.

NEC 422.16(B)(2)(4) permits a receptacle to be located in the space occupied by the appliance or
adjacent thereto. (5) states that the receptacle must be accessible.
The receptacle is a part of the wiring method and must not be permanently closed in by the
structure or finish of the building. If the receptacle is located behind the dishwasher, then the
cord and plug cannot be used as the disconnecting means since it is not readily accessible. In
this case the unit (dishwasher) switch is permitted as the disconnecting means, as long as it has a
marked OFF position

http://iaei-western.org/Files/2006/2006_Section_Code_Panel.pdf

sourcream22

Is a circuit breaker in the basement acceptable as a disconnecting means ? Or must it be in clear sight of the dishwasher?

This dishwasher slides out easily (floor is level and everything).

Imo that is kind of a weird law if you are allowed to have it hardwired and controlled by a breaker but not plugwired and have it be controlled by a circuit breaker...
Unfortunatly this unit has a build in clock so it is always on

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is a circuit breaker in the basement acceptable as a disconnecting means ? Or must it be in clear sight of the dishwasher?

This dishwasher slides out easily (floor is level and everything).

Imo that is kind of a weird law if you are allowed to have it hardwired and controlled by a breaker but not plugwired and have it be controlled by a circuit breaker...
Unfortunatly this unit has a build in clock so it is always on
Pertinent requirements:

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(A) Rated at Not over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1⁄8 Horsepower.
For permanently connected appliances rated at not
over 300 volt-amperes or 1⁄8 hp, the branch-circuit overcurrent
device shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes. For permanently
connected appliances rated over 300 voltamperes,
the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall
be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the
switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance
or is capable of being locked in the open position. The
provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting
means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit
breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain
in place with or without the lock installed.
Informational Note: For appliances employing unit switches,​
see 422.34.​
(C) Motor-Operated Appliances Rated over 1⁄8 Horsepower.
For permanently connected motor-operated appliances
with motors rated over 1⁄8 horse power, the branchcircuit
switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve
as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit
breaker is within sight from the appliance. The disconnecting
means shall comply with 430.109 and 430.110.
Exception: If an appliance of more than 1⁄8 hp is provided
with a unit switch that complies with 422.34(A), (B), (C), or
(D), the switch or circuit breaker serving as the other disconnecting
means shall be permitted to be out of sight from
the appliance.

422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected
Appliances.
(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and
Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an
accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and
receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting
means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle
are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances
shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance
with 422.31.

422.34 Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means. A unit
switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an
appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall
be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this
article where other means for disconnection are provided in
occupancies specified in 422.34(A) through (D).
(A) Multifamily Dwellings. In multifamily dwellings, the
other disconnecting means shall be within the dwelling
unit, or on the same floor as the dwelling unit in which the
appliance is installed, and shall be permitted to control
lamps and other appliances.
(B) Two-Family Dwellings. In two-family dwellings, the
other disconnecting means shall be permitted either inside
or outside of the dwelling unit in which the appliance is
installed. In this case, an individual switch or circuit
breaker for the dwelling unit shall be permitted and shall
also be permitted to control lamps and other appliances.
(C) One-Family Dwellings. In one-family dwellings, the
service disconnecting means shall be permitted to be the
other disconnecting means.
(D) Other Occupancies. In other occupancies, the branchcircuit
switch or circuit breaker, where readily accessible
for servicing of the appliance, shall be permitted as the
other disconnecting means.

422.35 Switch and Circuit Breaker to Be Indicating.
Switches and circuit breakers used as disconnecting means
shall be of the indicating type.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Here's the rub:

422.33(A) states, "Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31."

When is a receptacle (and subsequently the associated plug) ever permitted to be not accessible???

The requirements, including 422.16(B)(2)(5) should be revised using the term readily accessible, if that is the real intent.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you think about who is going to service this appliance, in all likelihood it's probably not going to be someone like one of us that is familiar with electricity. It's going to be an appliance repairman or a plumber. I would think that you would want to make it as easy as possible to disconnect power to service the unit. In the case of a refrigerator, the unit is easily pulled out from its space. In the case of a dishwasher, once you secure it to the counter top it's considered "fixed in place" thus making the receptacle non-accessible.

Having said that, I've had situations where an existing receptacle was located behind a dishwasher in a kitchen remodel. The inspectors, in all cases, made me install a breaker lock on the dishwasher breaker. I thought it made sense at the time but I've found that explaining how to reset a breaker to a homeowner is difficult enough without trying to have them operate a breaker lock on top of that. If you have an existing situation I don't think you have much choice but to do it this way. However, on new installations I would always install a receptacle inside the sink cabinet. That way the receptacle is accessible and an acceptable (local) disconnect means. And, BTW, don't let an inspector tell you that passing a power cord through the cabinet is a fire hazard. The cabinet is considered "furniture" and is not "rated".

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Since your OP asked for the "proper way", and since the dishwasher is most lilely UL approved, check out the following: :D

[FONT=&quot]UL Standard UL-749
UL 749
Household Dishwashers

7.3 Installation instructions

7.3.1A [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Where the installation instructions for a built-in dishwasher specifies
that the appliance is able to be connected by means of a power-supply cord
not already attached to the appliance by the manufacturer, the instructions
shall specify that a power-supply cord kit marked for use with dishwashers
shall be use
d[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]. The cord kit shall comply wi th Clause 25.2A. The part or model
number of the power-supply cord kit shall be included in the appliance
installation instructions.
7.3.2 The installation instructions provided with a cord-connected undercounter appliance shall include
the following instructions or equivalent information:
a) the power-supply receptacle for the appliance shall be installed in a cabinet or on a wall
adjacent to the undercounter space in which the appliance is to be installed;

b) there shall be an opening through the partition between the compartments specified in (a) that
is large enough for the attachment plug to pass through. The longest dimension of the opening
shall not be more than 38 mm;
c) the edges of the opening specified in (b) shall, if the partition is wood, be smooth and rounded,
or, if the partition is metal, be covered with an edge protector provided for this purpose b y the
manufacturer; and
d) care shall be exercised, when the appliance is installed or removed, to reduce the likelihood of
damage to the power-supply cord.

25.2 Cord-connected appliances
25.2.1 The power-supply cord of an appliance provided with a means for grounding shall include an
equipment-bonding conductor and shall terminate in a grounding-type attachment plug.

25.2.4 For a cord-connected built-in appliance:
a) the flexible cord shall be Type S, SJT, SPT-3, or the equivalent; and
b) the length of the flexible cord shall be 0.9 ? 1.2 m, measured from the face of the
attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance.

25.2.5 The power-supply cord shall be attached permanently to the
appliance or shall be in the form of a separate cord supplied as part of a
power-supply cord kit with means for connection to the appliance. The
power-supply cord kit shall comply with Clause 25.2A.
25.2.6 The ampacity of the cord and the current rating of the fittings shall not be less than the current
rating of the appliance.
For an appliance rated more than 15 A, the current rating of the attachment plug shall not be less than
125% of the current rating of the appliance.
A 20 A plug shall be acceptable for an appliance rated not more than 4000 W at 240 V. The attachment
plug shall be acceptable for use at a voltage equal to the rated voltage of the appliance.

25.2A Power-supply cord kits for use with undercounter or built-in
dishwashers
25.2A.1 A power-supply cord kit intended for the installation of an
undercounter or built-in dishwasher shall include the following:
a) power-supp ly cord, strain-relief means, and push-back relief that complies
with Clause 25.2;
b) a part or model number marked on the power-supply cord kit package, or
in the kit installation instructions;
c) installation instructions; and
d) grounding instructions in accordance with Clause 7.2.2.4(a).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]__________________[/FONT]

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I never understood why a receptacle would be installed behind the dishwasher. It would be simpler to install the receptacle in the cabinet next to the DW- which is usually the sink.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is the proper way to install a corded dishwasher?

The dishwasher has its own 20 amp GFIC outlet connected to its own breaker via 12 gauge wire. I know GFIC is not necessary when it is under the kitchen sink but I read it will ensure the "graceful failure" of a dishwasher if it does fail.
If it's located behind the DW then you'll have to explain to your customer that they'll have to pull out the dishwasher to reset the GFI receptacle. If it's in the sink cabinet they'll have to bend down to reset. Seems a bit over the top to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.