Display membrane and Sunshine

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Called to a Yaskawa VFD I haven't seen for about 7 years. It had stopped during the night. No Error codes. Would not start in either hand or auto. No manual handy, laptop dead and attempting to update in the process of charging. Remember, I'm retired.

Their help line is good. They asked, "Tom?" upon connection to a tech. I did recognized one of the menu options they sent me to as showing the digital input binary (00010001000 example) with one of them blinking 1-0 . I did not know which input but did go back and search for poor connections, dirty SS contacts, etc. Support moved me up the chain with the last one asking me about the display condition. The membrane that covered the keypad had deteriorated in the sunshine, and with the help of the farmer, was nonexistent. Keypad Stop was intermittent and explained why it would try to start on occasion.

The tech agreed that maybe a little local Ag engineering to block sunshine would be beneficial.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Yeah, this problem is very common on outdoor ATS controller LCD screens. UV rays are a killer! Normally does not affect ATS operation but unit cannot be programmed due to corrupted display. Installing a hinged Hoffman enclosure cover solves the problem.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, this problem is very common on outdoor ATS controller LCD screens. UV rays are a killer! Normally does not affect ATS operation but unit cannot be programmed due to corrupted display. Installing a hinged Hoffman enclosure cover solves the problem.
Problem I have run into with a lot of things on farms is getting them to close such covers. Doesn't seem to matter what it is with some guys, breaker panel cover, fused disconnect cover, receptacle cover... even "dead front" covers behind the outer door are missing many cases.

Been out to grain storage bin sites more than one time with a missing panel cover. Come out there to install underground wiring or other activity where excavating near that panel and have found the cover after a doing a little digging.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Problem I have run into with a lot of things on farms is getting them to close such covers. Doesn't seem to matter what it is with some guys, breaker panel cover, fused disconnect cover, receptacle cover... even "dead front" covers behind the outer door are missing many cases.

Been out to grain storage bin sites more than one time with a missing panel cover. Come out there to install underground wiring or other activity where excavating near that panel and have found the cover after a doing a little digging.
You can try the lockable type and only authorized people have key access but what can you say........you can't fix LAZY :cool: