distance between raceways in the code

Status
Not open for further replies.
inspector turned down a job today because of the distance between the 2 - 2 in. raceways i have in the j-box. the wire pulled into the jbox is spliced. there fore it is not the same conductor. but he states that it is, so my 2 - 2in. raceways have to be six times the largest trade size apart from eachother. 314.28. my jbox meets code for the wire size and the splices, but i think he is misinterpretating the code. the raceways do not have to be six times the largest trade size apart because it is not the same conductor whenever you make a splice in it. am i correct? can anyone help!

pierre

Re: distance between raceways in the code

"(2) Angle or U Pulls. Where splices or where angle or U pulls are made, the distance between each raceway entry inside the box and the opposite wall of the box shall not be
less than six times the metric designator (trade size) of the largest raceway in a row. This distance shall be increased for additional entries by the amount of the sum of the diameters
of all other raceway entries in the same row on the same wall of the box. Each row shall be calculated individually, and the single row that provides the maximum distance shall be used.
Exception: Where a raceway or cable entry is in the wall of a box or conduit body opposite a removable cover, the distance from that wall to the cover shall be permitted to comply with the distance required for one wire per terminal in Table 312.6(A). The distance between raceway entries enclosing the same conductor shall not be less than six times the metric designator (trade size) of the larger raceway. When transposing cable size into raceway size in 314.28(A)(1) and (A)(2), the minimum metric designator
(trade size) raceway required for the number and size of conductors in the cable shall be used.

310.15(B)(2)(b) More Than One Conduit, Tube, or Raceway. Spacing between conduits, tubing, or raceways shall be maintained.

SPACING SHALL BE MAINTAINED.
There is no measurement given. Generally the support device (strap) will determine the spacing.
Ask the inspector to reread 314.28 and remind him that is for sizing the enclosure, not the conduit spacing.

bphgravity

I tend to agree with the inspector. The section title is "Pull and Junction Boxes and Conduit Bodies". This indicates to me that the requirements of this section includes conductors spliced as well as pulled through.

Once a conductor is spliced to another, do they not become one conductor?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I would agree with Pierre, running the conduits into a box for a splice has nothing to do with spacing them a certain distance apart from each other for straight or angle pulling of conductors.

pierre

I do not disagree that this section deals with splicing of conductors and the relation of the size of the enclosure necessary. I do not agree that it has any requirement as to the spacing of the conduits. 310.15(B)(2)(b) mentions spacing of conduits.

bphgravity

314.28(A)(2) does address distance between raceway entries though. That wording is not apart of the Exception as posted above.

The wording in this paragraph doesn't indicate if the spacing is required only for pulls and not for splices, yet all the others do. Based on that, I think it is reasonable to believe the requirement must be met regardless of the actual way the conductor installation is made.

benaround

kyle,
You have (2) 2" conduits and they are 90 degrees opposed entring the j-box,2x6=12,by 314.28(A)(2),they must have 12" of space between them.

frank

Status
Not open for further replies.