distance from gas line

Status
Not open for further replies.

clate

would like to know if there is any standard distance from underground service from house to shed and a natural gas line. looking for the separation distance between the two.
thanks

jimwalker

Re: distance from gas line

I sure don't want them near each other.Should they get cut i don't need to worry about the sparks at same time i just opened a gas line.

highkvoltage

By the NEC there is no distance to maintain between the electric lines and gas lines. In fact the 1999 NEC required that you bond to the gas line, they have since removed that requirement. But as the other person posted some utilities have their own standards. It is generally a rule of thumb that you you do not use the same ditch line for both, but if you have to at least 18" to 24" should be kept between them.

hurk27

In fact the 1999 NEC required that you bond to the gas line, they have since removed that requirement.
I don't know where you heard that. But the NEC still requires us to bond any gas line on the inside of a building. look at 250.104(B) Now we don't do it because most of the time it is already bonded by the EGC ran with the circuit conductors for the furance, water heaters, ETC...

I think the removal of allowing us to use the underground gas piping as an electrode out of the NEC is what keeps this confusion going. Look at 250.52(B)(1)

highkvoltage

Hurk 27. The code section I was referring to was 250.104(b)in both the 1999 and 2002 NEC. The electrical inspectors around made us install a bonding jumper between the hot water piping, cold water piping and the gas line at the hot water tank. With the language change they no longer reguired this jumper to be installed at every location. We are aways subjected to 90.4 and then to make it worse they don't even agree with each other so sometimes we have to guess who the inspector will be. Looking at that section again I would agree that it states that it should be bonded, but 3 months ago I was told by an inspector to remove that bond since it is not required. :confused:

stew

Why in gods name did he have you remove it? Where in the code does it say that you cannot exceed code? He was as far as I am concerned just flat wrong. Never had an inspector make me me remove any of the redundant bonding that Im wont to do.

tonyi

The code would allow you to bond any metallic junk in or on a building that you had the time/money to care to run wire to. If there were some way to attach a lug to them you could, in theory, bond every single nail in a structure if you wanted to :D

The guy who made you remove that bond was way off base.

highkvoltage

stew. I argued until I was blue in the face. This inspector failed our apprenticeship, even with a tutor, and you can not reason with him. In our county we had 3 inspectors one with common sense, the idiot and they fired one he was so bad. The idiot will pass his buddies who home schooled themselves and will bury everyone else with red stickers. Most believe he his on his way out soon. He passed an out building his buddy wired and he never put the wires in from the panel to the outlets. The owners called me to fixed their electrical problems (this was a brand new building)I was there for a little over a week. We took pictures and a lawyer has taken it from here.
Another thing he passed at this building instead of using 12/3 where needed they used 12/2 and taped the ground. They actually landed this on a CB. They use the black and white for switching.

stew

Sounds like you need to take this to his chief Inspector or higher all right. Yeah I am in the habit of bonding more than is needed. I use bonding locknuts way more often than needed and if I have an extra lug I can usaually find a clear spot to put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.