Distillery Classification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a distillery be a classified location? It would be used to produce Vodka from potatoes and would have the fermenting tanks and bottling on site. Small operation (1-still & 4-tanks). I realize this information is pretty vague, but I'm just tryng to get a feel for what areas if any would be classified.

electricalperson

this is a tough question. my first guess is its not a classified area since the alcohol doesnt pose as much of an explosion threat as gasoline does. but im probably wrong and im willing to learn the correct answer as well

electricalperson

after a little thinking some of it could be a class 1 location such as the bottleing area and storage for finished product. hopefully someone can give us a good answer :)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Unfortunately, a vague description gets usually a vague answer - it is possible, but not likely.

Several factors would need to be considered, the most critical would probably be the total volume of product under consideration, process temperatures and pressures. Another might be the actual percentage of ethanol in the product stream.

boater bill

A bottling plant I did some electrical work for a few years ago had Cl.1, Div. 1 everywhere the product was filled and capped. This was a distilled spirit not beer, so it was a similar vapor to your Vodka.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
boater bill said:
A bottling plant I did some electrical work for a few years ago had Cl.1, Div. 1 everywhere the product was filled and capped. This was a distilled spirit not beer, so it was a similar vapor to your Vodka.
It certainly makes sense. Vodka is roughly 35-50% ethanol. Typically, it's at the lower end.

I'd still want to know the full process before I committed to a final recommendation. Overclassification is very common.

rbalex said:
It certainly makes sense. Vodka is roughly 35-50% ethanol. Typically, it's at the lower end.

I'd still want to know the full process before I committed to a final recommendation. Overclassification is very common.

As you pointed out information is insufficient to call it either way. I have worked at a place whre multifunction bottling was performed from apple jouce through wine and vermouth to scotch. Everything was filled at chilled temperatures so no ingnitable mixture/vapor was expected to form. Washdown was a greater concern than classification.

cschmid

I agree there is a need for more info..I also worked many years at a bottling and canning facility..You do package at controled temps and wash down was the problem..the vat area was not a classified area either..

Status
Not open for further replies.