Diversity of Theatre lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jself

I have never designed a space that involved theatre lighting before so I am hoping somebody reading this could clarify. The theatre lighting consultant had mentioned that theatre lighting has a diversity factor of 50%, what does this mean for the electrical calculation on the panel...do I size a 20A circuit and then only use half of the allowed wattage in my calculation? Does the NEC mention this anywhere, I have not been able to find it.

bphgravity

Re: Diversity of Theatre lighting

The term "diversity" only shows up once in the NEC back in Annex B, but is not generally used. The more proper term would be "demand". I am not aware of a 50% demand factor for theater lighting.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Do you think they might be trying to take advantage of 520.27(C)? If they are asserting that only 50% of the stage lights will be on at a time, and wish you to factor that into the "maximum load that the switchboard is intended to control in a given installation," it might be OK. But look at the constraints that follow this article.

jself

Thats what I thought, I called the designer that mentioned the load up and he said that he remembers that distinctivley in his electrical fundementals as something refering to the NEC, however he is a layman when it comes to the actual word of the code.
I gave him that theory and he didn't have an argument for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.