Dlo locomotive cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

KING

Can this type wire be used for service wiring to meters and disconnects , load centers,or mcc's

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
DLO is not a NEC recognized building wire but many DLO cables have additional listings such as RHW so they can be used but the ampacity will be based on the accpetable rating such as RHW and you need to make sure the teminals are listed for fine stranded wire.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This always brings up the question as to how you define the NEC ampacity. DLO sizes do not match NEC sizes.

Volta

This always brings up the question as to how you define the NEC ampacity. DLO sizes do not match NEC sizes.

310.15(C). Or next smaller, I guess. Pehaps the enigneers for this RR cable (not the ones driving the trains! :grin:) have supervised the provided ampacity calculations, and have adjusted for a maximum ambient temp.

radiopet

DLO is just a tradename of companies like AmeriCable. If the installation is under the guidelines of the NEC then you would need to use in compliance with RHH and RHW-2 and associated ampacity ratings. If used outside the scope of the NEC then supplied tables may be applicable to the standing being used for the application.

iwire

Staff member
DLO is just a tradename of companies like AmeriCable. If the installation is under the guidelines of the NEC then you would need to use in compliance with RHH and RHW-2 and associated ampacity ratings. If used outside the scope of the NEC then supplied tables may be applicable to the standing being used for the application.

So what is the NEC ampacity of 535 RHW?

Listen to my LIVE Radio Show- Mondays & Wednesdays -9PM-10PM EST on The Electrical Guru Website

If it is only the internet is it really a radio show?:roll:

whillis

So what is the NEC ampacity of 535 RHW?

All of the DLO I've ever used is marked with an alternate size & type, i.e. 636 DLO / 600MCM RW90. Based on my experiences, 535 DLO would be equal to a 500MCM 90C conductor. (Sorry about the MCM and degrees in C, I'm a Canadian)

I've also had good experiences using Shoo-Pins (http://www.greaves-usa.com/pdf/Shoo-Pin Color Sheet.pdf) to adapt the DLO to regular set screw connectors. I find the adapters with stranded pins work better than the solid pin adapters.

Last edited:

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Southwire DLO lists NEC 310.16 & 310.17 ampacity ratings for their cable for use in calculations. This cable can bes often used to connect batteries to UPS modules and the 310.17 rating is useful for that calcualtion.

John M

Status
Not open for further replies.