Do I Have Main Panel Working Space?

3oFElectric

Occupation
Electrician
Got a prospective client wanting to upgrade his main panel.

The panel is located in the garage but is recessed into the wall in a sort of cubby. I've attached photos of the panel's current location.

If I replaced the panel and left it in the same location, would I be in violation of workin space given its recessed 4 inches in this cubby?

Also, just as an FYI the work bench beneath the panel is going to be removed so there will be a 36 inch working space in front of the panel.

Attachments

• 20241016_174712-min.jpg
    20241016_174712-min.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20241016_180405-min.jpg
    20241016_180405-min.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20241016_175433-min.jpg
    20241016_175433-min.jpg
    986.7 KB · Views: 26

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I've seen AHJs let that sort of thing slide but technically it's a violation, so unless you know your inspector well I wouldn't chance it. When replacing the panel you have an opportunity to fix that situation. Certainly also tell the client that the workbench can't be there, especially during inspection.

garbo

Kinda of remembering reading that protrosions under panels can not extend more then 12" from front of panels. Countless times I had to stop a customer that wanted to mount a panel over say a 75 KVA transformer sitting on a floor. Use the term " Readily accessible " but some think if you can open a door everything in the room is readily accessible. At a large newspaper that I worked at years ago they had two large pop corn machines that they popped pop corn from Friday lunch hour to late Saturday night so they purchase a skid of pop corn. They stored it under a panel in the switchgear room. I complained about it but was ignored. When the fire Marshall did his yearly walk thru he told them they had 15 minutes to remove pop corn from this room. Only person available was our maintenance supervisor to move it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Kinda of remembering reading that protrosions under panels can not extend more then 12" from front of panels. Countless times I had to stop a customer that wanted to mount a panel over say a 75 KVA transformer sitting on a floor.
Actually the code allows up to 6" of encroachment into the working space for other electrical equipment. For transformers you would need to build out off of the wall until you met the 6" measurement. We've done that for disconnects where there was no room to mount them elsewhere.

MyCleveland

Got a prospective client wanting to upgrade his main panel.
Is it replacement or a size increase?

If a simple replacement, here you would replace in the same location...if changing with like rating.
Appears you are under....2018 International Existing Building Code.
Look over Chapter 4, 406.1.1.
Your job to verify this is the applicable code for your area.

Talk it over with your AHJ.

3oFElectric

Occupation
Electrician
Actually the code allows up to 6" of encroachment into the working space for other electrical equipment. For transformers you would need to build out off of the wall until you met the 6" measurement. We've done that for disconnects where there was no room to mount them elsewhere.
I had considered this code. Only didn't know if it would be allowed in this case since its a cubby instead of other electrical equipment.